Thread: Airmon-ng not listing any interfaces

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Airmon-ng not listing any interfaces

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to backtrack and aircrack. I've used it before (I think it was BT4) with success, but I am trying it now with a new laptop and bt5. When I type airmon-ng it does not list any interface and kind of hangs up..I have to close the command box by clicking the X. I've been searching and have seen that there are alot of people with this issue. I am extremely new to linux except for when I cracked a few codes before..and it went smoothly.

I've read in a couple threads that there was an issue with a while loop..which makes sense of it hanging up. I am not sure what to do, and honestly, not even sure what kind of card is in this laptop..It's a Dell e6420. I'm running it from a flash drive with persistence..(I booted back up to win7 to get on here and try to solve the problem...Any suggestions? I've got a few commands and things which I wrote down and am going to boot up BT again and try..

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Airmon-ng not listing any interfaces

Just a few touble shooting tips and tricks.

1. Dont use airmon-ng in the X window system, its a console program anyway.
    2. What output does iwconfig give you? Is your card listed?
    3. If you do get a wireless network device from iwconfig, what does aireplay-ng --test <adaptername> (ex: wlan0 or ath0 tell you?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha View Post
    Just a few touble shooting tips and tricks.

1. Dont use airmon-ng in the X window system, its a console program anyway.
    2. What output does iwconfig give you? Is your card listed?
    3. If you do get a wireless network device from iwconfig, what does aireplay-ng --test <adaptername> (ex: wlan0 or ath0 tell you?

im facing the same problem .. da day i installed backtrack5 airmon-ng ran jus fine off my inbuilt wifi chip (intel n6200)

2 days ltr airmon-ng refused to detect any interface,,,
    i patched with compat wireless ..... no use..
    i assumed my inbuilt wifi was fried ... so i bought a linksys wusb54gc (its suggested on the backtrack5 wiki)

still airmon-ng wont detect it .... help.....

as for ur questions ...1. iwconfig detects : eth0 , l0 , wlan0 (inteln6200) and wlan1(linksys)

using iwconfig i can indeed put wlan0 and wlan1 into monitor mode .. still airmon-ng wont detect any interface

aireplay-ng tests all come back positive ...

i feel theres some error with the way bk5 interacts with airmon-ng ...

Reinstall the aircrack-ng suite and it'll fix it. This issue has been around for awhile now. I'm not sure what makes it happen but hopefully it'll be fixed just whenever the next release comes out.

Here's the instructions that I wrote for someone else with the same problem awhile back.

Uninstall the aircrack-ng suite (airmon-ng is included in this) with this command:
    Code:
     apt-get autoremove aircrack-ng
    Then download the sources from the aircrack-ng website here:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/
    Extract the .tar file with this command:
    Code:
     tar -xf aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
    You will need to update some of the SSL-dev files so run this before building from source:
    Code:
     apt-get install libssl-dev
    Enter the directory that was just extracted and then run:
    Code:
     make
    make install
    Reboot and everything should be good to go now.
    Last edited by Reamer; 12-10-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Just burned his ISO

i have a wimax6250 , have downloaded and configured backtrack 3 and backtrack 5 trying to get airmon to show my wireless card, just get blanks i tried to remove and reinstall aircrack...i am a noob any help would be great thanks in advance,

Just burned his ISO

from all the research i could find i realized backtrack does not work with internal wifi cards has to be an external usb...not sure why this is i couldnt find this answer...

Quote Originally Posted by raystang35 View Post
    from all the research i could find i realized backtrack does not work with internal wifi cards has to be an external usb...not sure why this is i couldnt find this answer...
    This is not the answer. Both of my laptops' internal wifi cards work perfect with Back|Track and Aircrack-ng. My Dell N4010 has an Intel WiFi Link 6050 Series and my Dell N4110 has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 wifi card inside. It looks like you are trying to use your WiMAX card for your wifi connections. You need to check what is listed under wlan0 and use that card with "ifconfig" and "iwconfig". If you follow the steps I listed above then Aircrack-ng should be working properly. Do NOT just "apt-get autoremove aircrack" and then "apt-get install aircrack", this will just reinstall the file in the repositories that will bring up blank interfaces. It has to be built from source with the "libssl-dev" package installed first. If you don't fix the blank interfaces problem first, then no wifi card, internal or external, will help you.