Thread: Wireshark missing elf headers, segmentation fault

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireshark missing elf headers, segmentation fault

Hello, new to Backtrack, love the distro so far.

I have searched the forums to no avail, please direct me to the appropriate spot if this has already been answered.

I tried wireshark from the live cd and it gave an error regarding missing elf headers. The rest of the distro worked perfectly, except of course for airbase which errors on every distro I have tried, so I disregarded wireshark and figured I could get it updated/working after my HDD install. Injection with aireplay-ng works great etc.

So i performed the HDD install and am now receiving a segmentation fault error when trying to launch wireshark.

So being a good little noob I went and downloaded the latest stable release and was greeted with dependancy hell. My GTK+ needed updated, so off I go to get GTK+ most recent stable release. Turns out now I need to update cairo and glib, as well as pango.

After downloading and building all of the above, GTK+ still says my libs are out of date, so I update my path and its still not finding them.

I come to you bruised and battered seeking guidence and smack talk

Any advise?

Default md5

If wireshark could not be started at all then it sounds like your CD may have been corrupted as few reports of this are common here. You might check the md5 and/or try again.

If you have successfully opened wireshark but failed to achieve funcionality (also airbase) the case may be more a mismatch of hardware than anything else.

Please let us have more details that we might assist you further including the make and model of your ethernet interface and/or wireless interface.
    Lux sit

Just burned his ISO

Default Solved

Thanks to your tip, I checked the md5 and it was good, but I went ahead and burned a new disk from the same ISO anyway. Tried wireshark in live mode and all was well

So I reinstalled off the new disk, without formatting so as to keep my desktop files and such, had it write the boot file to hda4 (hd1=winxp, hda2=swap,hda3=ubuntustudio,hda4=backtrack2), then booted into ubuntu, edited my grub menu to chainload the boot for backtrack and everything works perfect!

Then I Dos'd my other laptop off of my AP to make sure injection was working with madwifi on my atheros.

Now I'm cracking open a Guinness and celebrating

Thanks for the help.

Default Well done

Well done I hope you enjoy the collection of software.
    Lux sit