Thread: bluetooth belkin usb adapter and bluesnarf

Default bluetooth belkin usb adapter and bluesnarf

Hello,
    I have some troubles getting my belkin usb adapter working. For example rfcomm connect, bluesnarf didn't work.

On the other hand hciconfig hci0 up, hcitool scan | inq ... work fine.
    Just hcitool cc target_id won't work, too.

I'm testing against bluetooth of my handy.

btscanner works, but bluesnarf fails with well known rfcomm error.

Unfortunatly given hints in forum like mkdir + mknod /dev/bluetooth/rfcomm/0
    or rfcomm connect xxxx

won't work for me.

Any special advises for usb adapter when using rfcomm ?
    Or am i missing something simple ?

Some help would be really nice.

Actually my handy even doesn't respond to a hcitool cc xxx connect command.
    I guess my usb adapter just works "half-way" ( as hcitool scan works)

I'd like to understand security aspect of bluetooth and i tend to understand it best when testing it myself.
    So any hint would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by thetom View Post
    Some help would be really nice.

Actually my handy even doesn't respond to a hcitool cc xxx connect command.
    I guess my usb adapter just works "half-way" ( as hcitool scan works)

I'd like to understand security aspect of bluetooth and i tend to understand it best when testing it myself.
    So any hint would be great.
    You might try the Linksys USBBT100. I just bought one myself and am waiting for it to arrive. Of course I'll post reports once I get to use it.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

mmh, i have been afraid of belkin usb adapter having lack of hardware support included in bt2.
    Well that would explain missing device links in runtime.

thx for your advice.

Nevertheless anyone got this adapter working, maybe one can supply updated driver ?

The adapter itself runs fine when checking connection under windows ( just for being sure adapter is ok ).

You might try the Linksys USBBT100. I just bought one myself and am waiting for it to arrive. Of course I'll post reports once I get to use it.
    I've had one of these for a while but i've not had much joy with it so far. It works as far as any Bluetooth adapter seems to work in BT2 but i still haven't figured out how to configure the RFCOMM...although i have to confess that i've not made a SERIOUS effort to do it yet, but Google hasn't been much help so far.

From what i've found so far, it appears that you need to configure the rfcomm.conf file because all the "interesting" apps throw an error about the RFCOMM channel. As i say, i've not had a massive session of trying to sort it out yet because i keep getting distracted by other projects...there's just too many apps to learn in BT2

Setting up the Blutetooth apps, especially the RFCOMM settings is something which is sorely missing from the knowledge-base provided by these forums, and would make for welcome source material if you figure it out

i took a look into rfcomm.conf (/usr/etc/bluetooth)
    Using google and example i adapted device adress to my usb adapter.
    right after a that a
    "rfcomm bind 0 " succeeds.
    Then "rfcomm show 0" lists device.
    That are the good news.

"rfcomm connect 0 handyMac" leads to message on Handy. But when accepting connection request with password on handy a timeout follows a bit later.
    With Backtrack claiming about "can't connect RFCOMM socket : Operation in Progress"

bluesnarfer still claims , even a ln -s to real node in place where bluesnarfer looks up doesn't help.
    bluebugger is same. both claim about connection refused and right after that /dev/rfcomm0 is missing. A rebind with rfcomm bind 0 works. But tools won't work

Any further ideas ?