Thread: new linux user here, few problems mostly happy, need restore boot win7 and distrobuti

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question new linux user here, few problems mostly happy, need restore boot win7 and distrobuti

I am new to BT linux, I have been running it as my only OS for several weeks. I am very happy with it for my work, but not sure to use all the time. my current install is on a OCZ vertex III 60 gb SSD. my laptop is a centrino duo 1.3 ghz with 8 gb of ram and intel video. I have done much reading in the forum and have resolved 100's of issues. however my original install was alongside Win7 on a OCZ agitily II 60 gb SSD and I need to restore the win7 boot and delete that install of BT. after the BT install to this drive I was no longer able to access win7. I no longer want to use Win7 but I do want to have the option. so any help will be greatly appreciated.

also I do not wish to run BT linux for common use and want another similar but safer linux version to run in dual boot. so far Linux Mint looks good. and claims to have good security and pre installed features, plugins and apps. any suggestions? Advice?

other minor problem: Video resolution does not restore on reboot. starts at 800X600 on laptop screen and the HDMI external. my preferred settings are 1024X768 on laptop, and 1200X1080 on external. but changes evertime.

Thanks in advance Logan

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: new linux user here, few problems mostly happy, need restore boot win7 and distro

Did you install BackTrack as a dual-boot alongside Win7? If so, you should be able to use the partition manager in Windows 7 to reclaim the BT partition. In terms of a good linux for everyday use, I like Ubuntu...as BackTrack is based on it.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: new linux user here, few problems mostly happy, need restore boot win7 and distro

Thank you scotm99 for the recommendation of Ubuntu for my alt Linux OS. exactly what I wanted to know. now with regard to my Win7 drive. it was my primary drive with Win7 already installed by me previously. when I installed BT5 onto it I was unable to ever boot Win7 again, it does not come up in the boot menu at all. it does boot to a usable install of BT5 and I should be able to add the Win7 partition to the boot menu from BT5. then I assume I reduce the BT5 partition and reboot to Win7 to delete the Linux partition, but I do not know what interface to do this, command line or otherwise. please help is greatly appreciated

also still I lose my video resolution every time I reboot , both monitors come up in 800X600 mode,

please help is greatly appreciated

Can you see the Windows 7 partition from BT? If so, gparted (gparted.sourceforge.net) may be what you need to re-partition your drive, and remove the BackTrack install. I'm not sure what to tell you on the video resolution...maybe the other forums, or the BT wiki can help.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Ok, I am booted up on my other SSD with win7 on it. with the gparted utility I can see the NTFS partition, but all is locked. going command line to attempt changing security level and the boot configuration

Good luck...hope things work out well for you

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Ok, try this:
    Open up a terminal and login as root..I use debian, so it is a little different in Ubuntu: Type "sudo su" and it will prompt you for the password: "toor" I think that is the password...If not, it should be the one you set...
    Then, once in root, type:
    xx@BT# os-prober
    Wait to see if it sees the windows 7 partition..If itr does not, type the command again...
    If it shows it, then type:
    xx@BT# update-grub2

Wait and when prompt appears, reboot and see if windows7 is shown in the boot menu...

Hpe it helps..
    Last edited by maverik35; 12-27-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: misspelling

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: new linux user here, few problems mostly happy, need restore boot win7 and distro

hello, i have a problem ... i had windows 7 than i installed backtrack 5r3 into a cd. when i was using backtrack i installed it to do a dual boot... when i restarted my pc it didn't give me an option, it when right into backtrack ... i lost my windows 7 . is there a way that i can restore my pc so i can get windows 7 back? ,