Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still can not install BT on Acer Aspire 5100

Just burned his ISO

Default Still can not install BT on Acer Aspire 5100

OK I burned new image at 4X.

I run it ant it flashes the line drivers/alsa-driver hda/hda_codec.c:216 hda codec: invalid dep_range_va for about ten minutes, eventually it runs.

login (root), startx, I can get inet connect, IRC, etc.

Try install. (Real 2700 Mb required) and I get:

Source (BackTrack CI [empty]
    Install BackTrack to [/mnt/sda1] which I change to hda1
    Write MBR to [/dev/sda] which also change to hda

I have no idea what goes in the first line Source so I left it blank, then tried D:

(I tried leaving them sda, same result:

Installing bootloader (lilo) All done, click close button.
    Still have Inet, IRC...

Try log out, waiting for x server to shut down

Nothing except root prompt bt ~ #

Wait 10 minutes (go get a beer)

exit: I get 'when finished use poweroff'.
    It wants a password. toor? LOL, No. Can't end session so CTL/ALT/DEL, it reboots, and comes up in XP.

I have spent hours reading help files and whatever else. Either I am missing something (live brain cells?) or there is something with the image (where it flashes the invalid dep range for 10 minutes) with the (second CD burned at 4X, slowest Nero has) or the BIOS in this Acer that came with Vista.

Am totally stumped.

Am considering buying System Commander ($70 bucks) or maybe Free BSD. Also 50 milligrams of potassium cyanide.

So, can someone get me through this, please?

History:
    Box had Vista, so I formatted the WD 160 Gb drive and installed XP, (set one part NTFS for XP) then Partition Magic, tried several things, all NTFS including a swap, HDA1, HDA2, leavging apx 80 Gb unused.

Just burned his ISO

i might know why... answer the following things,

1. Software using to burn
    2. Type of cd's ( brand, etc )
    3. Burner type

And were there any problems while you installed XP????

did you check the md5 of the iso like this ?
    you should have followed this video with this transcript that points out the error in the video.

Do ALL of those following them very carefully and you wont have a problem.

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't install BT on Acer 5100

Nero Express 5.5
    Maxell
    Gigabyte, apx 3 years old

XP installed with no problems. It, also, was burned; image from downloaded iso.

Also installed ubuntu from image which works perfect.

So, in spite of the 'error' appears the burner or disks not the problem.

I just don't know what goes in the first line SourceBackTrack CL [ ]

Thanks for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpuboye11 View Post
    i might know why... answer the following things,

1. Software using to burn
    2. Type of cd's ( brand, etc )
    3. Burner type

And were there any problems while you installed XP????

Just burned his ISO

ok, nvm my idea, good luck

Just burned his ISO

Default Still can't install BT on Acer

Ah, been one of those interesting days.
    Actually, the kind that would p*** off the pope.

I did the MD5 bit (no pun intended) and the numbers matched. What I actually used was: c:\backtrack>md5sum bt2final.iso. So, the burn is good, disk OK.

XP was installed and 'properly shut down'.

Tried running live and got the same flashing line for about ten minutes- hda codec invalid dep range... And again, it runs, so I try install again using the afforementioned video. (I caught the typo uNmount) but was getting too many things on the Acer that were different from the vid; stuff I don't understand. I am missing something.

Reminds me of the guy that asked my help programming a trunking police radio; scanner. He had all the right frequencies but was just getting random transmissions. When I asked him about the Talk Groups, he looked at me sorta like a Radio Shack clerk when you ask if they have a quad opamp IC.

WTF is a Talk Group?, he wanted to know.

The way the radio system seperates one agency from another so that the cops don't end up talking to the dog catcher.

I am missing something- understanding about partitions and NTFS/FAT32 and /dev/hda/whatever. So, this goes on the back burner till I can read up on some BASH. (Basic SHit) Ubuntu is running fine; will do for now.

Unless there is something about this Acer and that it originally ran the dreaded Vista.

Thanks for the help.

BBL

wireman on EFnet #SF2600

I have the computer you're using (I really like it, too) and I got it to load just fine. It's probably the CD

Default qtparted

It would appear from limited information that you have not partitioned or formatted your drive adequately to receive the inbound BT.

Since you have already established that you can get to an X Window you might try the partition editor qtparted to look at or reconfigure your hard drive.

Always backup data and provide for a recovery scenario before installing.
    Lux sit

Well my thoughs, if they count, where is your ext2 or 3 drives. Unless I missed something, Linux can't be install on FAT32, let alone NTFS.

Developer

heres one problem

Source (BackTrack CI [empty]
    Install BackTrack to [/mnt/sda1] which I change to hda1
    Write MBR to [/dev/sda] which also change to hda

If you made the directories and mounted then like in the hard drive install pdf

then you must install backtrack to the name of the directory you mounted on hda 1 so if you mkdir and called it backtrack then you must point the installer at /mnt/backtrack

my suggestion is to reinstall xp and then boot the live cd and use qtparted to partition the hard drive. Qtparted can also format if you wish or you can use fdisk if your more comfortable with the command line. Im assuming you are a gui kind of guy so use qtparted.right click on said partitionand choose &format. you can even do nthe swap partition. You do have a swap RIGHT?.
    plus patton is right you must use the right format. ext2 or ext3 or reseirfs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast