Thread: Couple of Questions

Default Couple of Questions

Hi,

Question1

I have just started with backtrack, and currently learning about all the tools etc associated with it. I have 4 PCs in my house in diff rooms, I scanned with GFI languard and got net-bios names and shares etc. so i thought i might as well start small and try a hack using this.

What i would like to know is it possible to drop net cat and execute a command on a remote net-bios share? I'm not asking for you to tell me how just want to know if possible so i don't spend next 6 months trying something that will never work. lol.

(and yes i have searched Google etc but all i could find was how to connect to shares)

Question 2

I think i would benefit more if i was to learn some programming languages, I have looked at Perl and C, and noticed quite a lot of similarities between the 2 which would i be best learning first, and any books i should look out for that you think stand out from the 1302 listed on amazon lol.

thanks in advance
    Hmmm... Whats this button do?.... OWWWWWWWW

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

i advise to learn bash and python..........;

some online books exists for the twos
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

HI,

thanks for the reply, will take a look on google for some good resources
    thanks again

Developer

yes what your asking with netcat is possible but its not so simple. plus netcat is nogood for a long time back door because the cmd.exe window stays open in winblows when its running.Plus every antivirus and spyware software detect net cat. Ill tell you like I tell every one . The best way to learn to exploit is find some outdated unpatched software that you know is vunerable so when you practce you can trouble shout. one last thing I hope every one reads about xploits is that not everypayload works with every system. sometimes the only payload you can excecute is arbitrary code. you must reasearch the target and then determine the correct xploit and payload for the situation. one more thing when using a connect back payload payclose attention to your exit teqnique. I agree with shamen python and bash are the 2 easiest and good to know. I m not even much on coding yet and these are the too I'm working with. a good way to start is a abc 123 book or what I did was downloaded some books . took some code and kept messing with it till it does what I want.please don't jump the gun in exploitation pen testing. It can be a long grinding process for one simple shell......

Hi,

thanks for the advice, Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I was just curious regarding netcat, since its my old pc and not really doin much thought i would abuse it everynow an then whilst learning bash etc.

thanks again

Default socat - python - lua

Q1
    You might try socat instead.

Q2
    As previous I agree with Python. I would normally recommend perl because it is the subject of many books but mainly now in use for text extraction and gateway interfacing.

Unless you are 'old school' then learning 'C' over and above modern scripting languages will not give you much advantage unless you want to write a large model. 'C' has incredibal speed and is effectively transparent in unix since that is what all/most unix commands are written in, (ie interpreting time is zero). Python is good for most tasks that I suspect you will need and modular functions and plugins are building rapidly. It has excellent connectivity. I am currently looking at Lua as it is ultra-small and portable for embedded systems.

You might also consider tcl as an excellent portable script as it was always a 'rapid glue' that we would use across systems.

In summary - python or lua.
    Lux sit

Hi thanks for your input, will deffo give lua a look.

Been looking for some good python books for beginners but there are so many, Any one got any good recomendations

thanks

Default Book

Hi

Learning Python published by O'Reilly is excellent
    You might start online at zero cost to get a feel for it.

Lua also online or slightly easier in book form; - Programming in Lua
    Lux sit

Thanks for info