Thread: Install BackTrack 5 rc1 on Mac OSX Lion, feasable?

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Install BackTrack 5 rc1 on Mac OSX Lion, feasable?

I just uninstalled windows from my bootcamp and i would like to run only my Lion and a second partition with BackTrack 5, is it doable?

I already tried to follow a couple tutorials i found around here and there, and all of them asked to partition my mac with bootcamp and then instal rEFIt, but this isn't possible on LION since when i try to partition my HD it asks for a Windows Installation disk..

What i did until now is, partitioned with disk utility my HD with success and now i have two partitions with around 250gb each, the one i'm using for mac is in HFS+ as usual and the other in FAT but it's empty.
    I managed to install rEFIt too and i can boot on it with no problem.

I Burned a CD with the new backtrack 5rc1 iso GNOME and i can't seen to boot from it, when i boot on rEFIt it gives me two main choices, that is to boot on the OSX LION or in the "Legacy OS from HD" which i tried to choose and i just have to reboot my mac to boot on mac again, since nothing happens.

My main config is:
    MacBookPro5,2 (17-inch, Mid 2009)
    Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Well, any thoughts on that, because i really would like to run Backtrack native on my mac because i don't have any flash-drive?

Thanks in advance

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Install BackTrack 5 rc1 on Mac OSX Lion, feasable?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeloz View Post
    I just uninstalled windows from my bootcamp and i would like to run only my Lion and a second partition with BackTrack 5, is it doable?

I already tried to follow a couple tutorials i found around here and there, and all of them asked to partition my mac with bootcamp and then instal rEFIt, but this isn't possible on LION since when i try to partition my HD it asks for a Windows Installation disk..

What i did until now is, partitioned with disk utility my HD with success and now i have two partitions with around 250gb each, the one i'm using for mac is in HFS+ as usual and the other in FAT but it's empty.
    I managed to install rEFIt too and i can boot on it with no problem.

I Burned a CD with the new backtrack 5rc1 iso GNOME and i can't seen to boot from it, when i boot on rEFIt it gives me two main choices, that is to boot on the OSX LION or in the "Legacy OS from HD" which i tried to choose and i just have to reboot my mac to boot on mac again, since nothing happens.

My main config is:
    MacBookPro5,2 (17-inch, Mid 2009)
    Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Well, any thoughts on that, because i really would like to run Backtrack native on my mac because i don't have any flash-drive?

Thanks in advance

has anyone tried this out yet? i have the same specs essentially... on native install try, i reboot and see this error:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254655/Bt5rc1x64g.jpg

anyone have any thoughts. please?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Install BackTrack 5 rc1 on Mac OSX Lion, feasable?

I have Backtrack installed on both my MacBook 2008 and Macbook Pro 2009. The way i have done them on both:
    boot into the Mac partition and use Disk Utiltiy to alter the hard drive partitions so there is some free space (the amount you want to dedicate to backtrack) once thats finished install rEFit. Boot into backtrack live CD and install to largest continuous free space (will be the free partition space)

Once installation is complete reboot, hold down alt and see your second partition appear... then simply selected it to boot into it.

hope this helps