Thread: Writing a paper about networking and BackTrack

Default Writing a paper about networking and BackTrack

Hello to the BackTrack community, as I wrote a few months back, i'm writing a paper about BackTrack.

It all started when I wanted to learn about BackTrack but i didn't know where to begin and i started to read or watch videos and writing what i saw so i could study and understand better what was that all about. Well, after i started to take notes about WEP cracking and WPA cracking, and some other things I thought about posting that document here in the forum so that people who is trying to begin in the Security field could read it and avoid beginner questions, the same that I had and that I answer in my paper.

The thing is that I want to make a complete tutorial, not with everything but with the attacks and stuff that people want to know.

One of thing that makes this fun is that my point is to help people to get aware of the security problems and how to fix them. For instance, I explain how to crack WEP and WPA with a dictionary, and then I recomend to whoever reads it to use WPA with a good password, not a common one.

To make a better paper and help people who are really starting I added some networking stuff, like how a router works, for example, I wrote about that so the people who read it understand what they are doing later in the MITM process and stuff.

So, here I let the content of the paper so far and I would like if someone recomends me to add something else before I post it.

Content:
    - How does a router works.
    - How does a switch works.
    - What is WEP, WPA, TKIP, EAP...
    - What is the monitor mode
    - Cracking WEP (Open system with and without a client, and Shared Key).
    - Cracking WPA (aircrack-ng and pyrit).
    - NMAP Tutorial.
    - Man in the Middle Attack (i only wrote arpspoof and sslstrip, untill now).
    - What are exploits.
    - Exploiting with Armitage.

I guess that adding more about MITM and networking would make the paper more complete. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot, Strakar.
    Last edited by strakar; 12-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Default Re: Writing a paper about networking and BackTrack

Considering the occasional need for deauthing for WPA, possibly include some details on
    how deauthing works and what tools other than the usual aireplay could be used,
    maybe even how to identify when this is happening on your network.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Considering the occasional need for deauthing for WPA, possibly include some details on
    how deauthing works and what tools other than the usual aireplay could be used,
    maybe even how to identify when this is happening on your network.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

I think you have a good scope, but, depending on what you want to cover, I suggest leading off with something like "it is assumed the reader knows about x, and y. If more background is needed, have a look at website.com". Considering what TAPE mentioned earlier, might want to throw in some wireshark stuff, too. Thanks in advance for your efforts This type of work benefits everyone!
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...