Thread: Booting from USB HD Intermittent

Just burned his ISO

Question Booting from USB HD Intermittent

Hello all...

I added a partition to an external hard drive (USB 2.0/3.0, Seagate FreeAgent Go Flex) and installed BT 5 R1. I am using a Lenovo Z61m. I run Debian 6.0.3 on the on board hard drive.

I set the boot order so that USB HDs will boot before the on board SATA hard drive and sometimes it will but sometimes it wont. This usually happens after I have booted into Backtrack, shutdown or rebooted the computer and wish to boot into Backtrack once again. I can hit F12 to see the list of devices to boot and sometimes the USB hard drive wont even appear on the list. If I can't boot from the USB Hard Drive and I allow grub (from the on board HD) to come up then CTRL + ALT +DEL to reboot it will boot to the USB hard drive without an issue.

This doesn't happen with external CD/DVD drives or thumb drives. I can boot every time with them.

Is there a way I could add a Backtrack option onto the GRUB menu on the on board hard drive even though Backtrack is not on that drive?

I realize this is probably more of a hardware/Lenovo issue but was hoping someone here may be able to point me into the right direction since my extensive internet searches were unsuccessful.

Thank You

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Booting from USB HD Intermittent

I think you're right...seems like a hardware issue. It appears your external USB drive isn't being detected consistently on boot. Have you tried leaving the external USB drive powered on when rebooting your PC? This might help you PC detect it.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: Booting from USB HD Intermittent

Scotm99,

Thank you for your reply.

It is an external 2.5 inch hard drive so there is no additional power supply. I have left drive plugged in while rebooting.

I did add Backtrack it to the GRUB boot menu (on the primary Debian partition) by running grub-update while the external drive was plugged in. The problem persists, sometimes the hard drive is detected and sometimes there is an error (a kernal must be loaded first).

???

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Booting from USB HD Intermittent

If you have another machine available, try using the external drive on it, and see what results you get. Although it's a bit more risky, if there's a BIOS update for your Lenovo laptop, you may want to flash the BIOS...perhaps that will help. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't think of anything else. I've always run BT from an internal drive.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...