Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall

Hybrid View

Question Firewall

Hi, all

Been searching the forum but been unable to find any answers.

1, Whats a good firewall to use on Backtrack if any?, Does it really need one.
    2, Is there a tool like Yast which lets you selected programs to download etc

Thanks for any help in advance
    Hmmm... Whats this button do?.... OWWWWWWWW

1, Whats a good firewall to use on Backtrack if any?, Does it really need one.
    iptables. and i don't think it does. it's meant for pentests, not for every day use.

2, Is there a tool like Yast which lets you selected programs to download etc
    yes, there is. not for download, but for install/remove packages. look at the slackbook to find out.

as you talk about yast i think you come from the suse linux section. slackware is also linux, but it's different. linux != linux. (linux is not like linux in a different distro. so read it, you will find many answers there.
    The answer is 42.

Default Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, not sure if something is wrong with my setup but slackbook is just 287 bkank pages

One more thing is it possible to update KDE to full version, By that i mean install latest version with all addon's as I am considering using Backtrack as my main OS and would like to have all the extras installed

thanks again for your help very much appreciated.

Developer

backtrack is not designed to be a main os. that's why most of us here on the forum have a separate bt laptop or dual boot. if I may suggest a unbuntu/backtrack install. plus there is a firewall builder in the kde menu under backtrack-misc. any way if you nmap bt there is only 611 and one other obscure port open. I haven't been able to exploit my bt install from windows except when I installed the bitchx module which is vunerable to a milwOrm exploit

i would be not so sure about this... backtrack is not meant as a distribution for everyday and private use, but you can make it your own distro. i would advise you to get more into the linux world and work from bottom to top, not the other way. there is also some thread about the same. try using the search function.
    The answer is 42.

as i said... purehate, quicker than his own shadow.
    The answer is 42.

HI,

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions, very grateful.
    I will take a look at Ubuntu.

I was aware of slapt-get but i would like a gui interface if possible i have downloade one i found listed on this forum but cant seem to get it to work but i will keep trying.

Once again thanks for taking the time to help me out.

there is a gui for slapt-get, I have it somewhere as a module.
    I think the module was created by shamenvirtuel

its called gslapt

I will look it out and post a link if you like

but i would like a gui interface
    What's a gui?

slapt-get --update
    slapt-get --install gslapt

There's your gui. Amazing

I agree with the others about not using BT as your main os. I'd suggest slackware or gentoo rather than ubuntu, though. Both can be a pain to get up and running, but you've learned some linux by the time you are done.

Good Luck

Take a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.Firewall. Edit to your needs and from a prompt

"etc/rc.d/rc.Firewall start"

As far as yast goes, BT comes with slapt-get.

slapt-get --update
    slapt-get --install gkrellm

Take a look at the already configured /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc. You can install just about anything that comes with slackware 11.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast