Thread: USB Boot - Assistance with modifying graphics driver

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Boot - Assistance with modifying graphics driver

Hi, very new to Linux and am very excited and ehtusiastic to learn BackTrack. I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a Dell Latitude D800 which is using an nVidia GeForce4 4200 video controller. I mention the video controller because it was a factor in my succesfully installing Ubuntu on the laptop.

Initially, I had issues with the mouse and varioius installation windows being all "pixelated". After much trial and error and eventually having Ubuntu install an nVidia graphics driver (Ubuntu does this automatically...I didn't do it manually using command lines and modifying some config file). After Ubuntu installed the driver, everything looked perfect.

Now I have sucessfully created a USB boot of BackTrack and am seeing some of the same issues, but am not quite sure how to address the problem. When I boot up to BackTrack, I see pixelation of most of the graphics, so I am assuming I need to somehow modify something in the BackTrack installation so it uses the correct nVidia driver.

I would appreciate any assistance or guidance in how to approach this.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jb61264; 12-07-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Meant to post a reply instead of editing original

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: USB Boot - Assistance with modifying graphics driver

Going to try again...does anybody have any suggestions for me here? I've seen a couple potential suggestions but when you can't see the screen because of a graphics adapter issue, I'm not quite sure how you're supposed to apply those possible fixes

My goal is to have a USB boot of BackTrack work on my laptop...I have tried the current version of my USB on another laptop so I am certain I just need to have BackTrack load up the correct nVidia driver on my USB install, just not sure how this is done. Do I have to "build" a version of BackTrack with the correct nVidia driver first (like on a separate computer) and then create a USB install of that version?

Thanks again for any suggestions

Default Re: USB Boot - Assistance with modifying graphics driver

2 quick solutions:

1. Create a custom iso where you have nvidia drivers installed than place that on a USB.
    2. Have someone automatically create the iso: https://www.backtrack-linux.com/
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !