Thread: 1 antenna cards versus 2 antenna cards question/advice

Just burned his ISO

Default 1 antenna cards versus 2 antenna cards question/advice

Basically just looking for some opinions. I already own an ALFA awus036H. Works great. Have an ALFA awus036NH on the way to handle wireless N networks. Was looking at HWUN2 model (link @ bottom). Which is only model I could find that has 2 SMA ports on it, for 2 antennas. Its actually the only reliable model 2 antenna model I could find that is compatible with BT5, besides lotsa international sites with double antennas based off rt8187, have one of those on the way to, kinda scared it will just be cheap knockoff, so I am concentrating on more reliable brand names. Just wondering if you guys think double antennas are a waste of time/not the way to go, or if maybe my HWUN2 will be able to kick my alfas ass because it has 2 antennas.

Another question is, using SMA T connector, its possible to hookup two antennas to one SMA port. Is doing this worthwhile? Have some T - Connectors on the way, along with a SkyCity rtl8187 knock off with double antennas from Hong Kong, After everything comes in, I will update this post with what I found out while testing T connectors with double antennas, and testing Adapter with 2 sma ports and double antennas, and also adapter with 2 sma ports using SMA T connectors to connect 4 antennas. But it will be 2 weeks until everything comes in and I can test and post results. Until than, any advice on wether I should grab an HWUN2 or if you guys think its a waste would be greatly appreciated. Figured i'd be able to find more info on this subject, but didn't have much luck, any input you guys can give me would be awesome.
    Last edited by bolexxx; 12-07-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: 1 antenna cards versus 2 antenna cards question/advice

The advantage with two antennas is that they can be pointed in two directions, even if they are not unidirectional it will make some difference. But this only matters on how far the AP can transmit, if the client can't reach the AP back, it doesn't matter how many or how big your antennas are.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: 1 antenna cards versus 2 antenna cards question/advice

Do you think it would be even worth going for something with 2 antennas? (antennas will be on wireless adapter, not AP) Or just kind of a waste? When everything comes in I'll be able to test everything and see whats up, kinda went on a spree, lol, got 4 wireless adapters coming, 2 yagi antennas, one 20db, one 24db, 2 9db directional panel antennas, and 2 7db omni antennas, plus 16ft active repeater usb cable*. (Imagine truck going down the road with all that hardware hanging out... make my little Ford Ranger look like the freaking mothership.... lol) Only reliable looking 2 antenna adapter I could find was the HWUN2, I see it has some driver issues, but will work with injection and monitoring if you follow a couple walk thrus for drivers. I actually have dual antenna adapter coming from hong kong, supposed to be using the RT8187L chipset, like the alfa-36h. Anyone every try one of these before? (The 1080000G model, or HWUN2 model, not Alfa-Awus36h, I already know that the alfa is bad ass =) )

here is link for rt8187l dual sma adapter. 1080000G is product name. Sposed to run some crazy mW, like 3800mW or 3200mW, but doesn't list it on the e-bay page. Actually says "Operating Distance 3800m" on that page, but on other pages it is listed as being 3800mW. Hard telling with these knock-off products, same product with same product number will be listed on one site and have totally different specs from same product and same model number listed on other sites. Anyone ever tried one of these before? Only paid 26$ total, but I'm kinda worried its gonna be a turd when it finally gets here....
    h * * p://cgi.ebay.c * m/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220903278000

*Do you think its worth it to buy active repeater usb cables? Is there that much of a loss difference versus regular usb cable? I can understand when your running 20 feet of usb, but is there that much of a difference if your only running like 4 feet of usb cable?