Thread: Alfa AWUS036H bad password in WICD Manager

Just burned their ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H bad password in WICD Manager

From inside the VM my ALFA AWUS036H USB adapter works fine when it is in monitor mode (AIRBASE, AIRODUMP, etc. all run with no problems).
    Instead when I try to connect to my AP (managed mode) I have the following issue:
    in WICD I see my AP (and all others in range) with no problems, BUT when I try to connect to it I always receive error: "CONNECTION FAILED - BAD PASSWORD".
    Of course the wpa key I have set in the properties is the right one.

It works in backtrack 5, 5R1. KDE and Gnome, backtrack 4 but it cant connect to my fritzbox in windows 7. i have another usb wireless that does connect

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Alfa AWUS036H bad password in WICD Manager

I had this problem and actually resulted into reformatting to see if I messed up somewhere with installing multiple packages. Ended up after I reformatted I got the same issue. I am connecting to a WPA2 encrypted router but it uses a WEP HEX key to authenticate I'm guessing. Someone it is using both WEP and WPA2. I went to WICD and changed my settings to a WEP HEX key and after that I was able to connect. I did some research on it before and some people said it was an issue with WICD 1.7 which I cannot confirm. Some forum posts said to down grade to WICD 1.6.2 and it would solve the problem. Best of luck to you!

Kyptx

Just burned his ISO

Try using wpa_supplicant here's a sample wpa_supplicant.conf file for WPA.

Just burned their ISO

but i dont understand. i connected to a fresh windows 7 computer, freshly formatted. it still doesn't want to connect. but i can go in monitor mode, get a handshake and the use airacrack against a dictionary file to get the key of my router. isnt there a command to reset the alfa awus036h?

Just burned his ISO

Make sure you try both kinds of encryption, WPA Preshared key, and WPA Passphrase when trying to connect. wpa_supplicant should already be installed and working in bt5, but to check if it is running: Hit connect button on WICD, while WICD is trying to connect to your desired wifi network, type ps -A into shell, it will output all running processes. Check to see if wpa_supplicant is listed, if it isn't, than it probably isn't running right or needs installed. Make sure to type ps -A into shell while WICD is trying to connect to the network, or it won't work.