Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how vulnerable is vista?

Default how vulnerable is vista?

hey guys it me again, and i was wanting to set up an old computer i have laying around, as a practice target. it already has windows xp sp2 running on it, but i also have my windwos vista retail dvd. should i put vista on it, because the world is screaming that vista's security is shit?

what are you views on this os? which one should i use to be the test dummie?

thnx

Just burned his ISO

"You are pointing out Vista's flaws. Cancel or allow?"

what do you mean im pointing out vista's flaws? so its security does suck, and i shpuld use it or not?

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Vista IS shit .... and not only for security related subjects

i never install it... i still use a tweaked up to date xp box.....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPoo View Post
    what are you views on this os? which one should i use to be the test dummie? thnx
    Setup both in Dual-Boot and you can try your luck with both of them and see what you find, feel free to report back any findings....but if this is just a lame attempt at socially engineering pointers to Vista security flaws, (and XP SP2 for that matter), then it's not going to work.

There's been plenty written about Vista's "new" security features, (and flaws), but a good place to start would be here

Developer

vista is shit but I'm going to refraim from disscucing its vunerabilities

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPoo View Post
    what do you mean im pointing out vista's flaws? so its security does suck, and i shpuld use it or not?
    Sorry, reference to one of the mac vs. pc ads.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob327 View Post
    Sorry, reference to one of the mac vs. pc ads.
    first thing I did when I tried it is delete the user acount control out of the registry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob327 View Post
    "You are pointing out Vista's flaws. Cancel or allow?"
    Hi-larious.
    Fingerprint.

I just got a new laptop with vista on it. It lasted about 6 hours before I formatted and installed xp pro. I'm doing a slackware 12 install on it as I type this.

I don't use windows very often. Some of the wireless access points we use at work can only be reset to default with a windows binary. We're in the process of phasing them out for a new model that is not only a better, tougher product but also features an old fashioned reset button. When the last of the old access points are gone, so is windows.

Anyone in the "trade" will have to eventually learn vista. Sticking your head in the sand and "clinging" to xp, while understandable in the short term, isn't going to work long term. Maybe after a year or so they'll have most of the bugs worked so the learning process won't be so "painful".

If you want to use vista, do so. You'll have to, eventually. I'd put away any blunt objects or firearms while doing so or you'll end up shopping for a new pc. As far as security vulnerabilities go, if you find any, be sure to post them EVERY WHERE.

I did get one funny message. "The administrator has forbidden this action". Makes you wonder who is actually doing the administrating, huh? How's it feel to "pay" to be a beta tester?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast