Thread: Bluetooth adhoc network

Just burned his ISO

Default Bluetooth adhoc network

Hi all

I've got a bluetooth (internal) adapter that is recognised by BackTrack and have been fooling about trying to figure out how to go about making an adhoc network between my phone and my BackTrack USB stick booted laptop.

Sorry, also *very* new to Linux I might add. I can successfully run a SSH server on Windows using CYGWIN, set up an adhoc bluetooth network between the phone and the Windows box, and then connect to it from my phone using a PuTTY client. That's basically what I want to achieve from the booted up BackTrack. I've figured out how to install .tar'd modules from the shell and found a pretty decent guide on SSH server setup, so now I just need to achieve the bluetooth connectivity.

Cheers
    nibb

Just burned his ISO

what kind of phone do you have?
    i can do it with my nokia n70 and a box running ubuntu!

Google Bluetooth PAN
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

My phone's a p990i, but I had the windows bluetooth pan working over an N73 too. It was a different SSH client tho, but still worked

I had previously googled bluetooth adhoc linux, bluetooth pan linux etc but there's so much info out there and since I'm just starting out with linux, never mind the more technical side of bluetooth pans, I find myself getting confused with the different distros being cited and referenced.

Eg: I came across these pages before making my first post here...
    (edit: can't post URLs yet it seems)
    first google result from "triptico bluetooth"
    first google result from "bluez HOWTO-PAN"

I gather from them that bluez is a fairly well put together bluetooth package. checked out the sourceforge site etc and looks like it does what I want. But again, playing the newbie card, I'm wondering if this will work with the BackTrack bootable ISO (I use a usb stick, so I can stick the packages on the stick and install them by way of a script I could run after logging in), or whether I should be looking at a different flavour fo Linux.

Sorry if I come across a bit thick, just that I have to fight for computer time from looking after 3 young kids and a keeping a wife sweet. So I have to plan out what I want to do. I don't mind, but it just means I like to know I'm not going down a deadend

So, bluez with backtrack... will it work? Should I go down a different route?

Thanks guys