Thread: BT5R1-GNOME-32 VMware Tools

Just burned his ISO

Question BT5R1-GNOME-32 VMware Tools

I know that the vmware tools are installed in the BT5r1 vmware distro. However, I can't seem to get them to work. None of the features I would expect for having vmware tools working are operational.

How can I verify vmware tools are operational?

Additional note: I am running VMware workstation 6.5... maybe its my workstation version... I will attempt to update that and repost.

If there are any other thoughts, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Default Re: BT5R1-GNOME-32 VMware Tools

Quote Originally Posted by hackerjax View Post
    Additional note: I am running VMware workstation 6.5... maybe its my workstation version...
    After some research, I've stumbled upon VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 release notes. I'm assuming that the backtrack devs team used version 7.x to create the virtual machine, so I could be wrong. Either way, the release notes say, and quoting:
    The WDDM graphics driver included in the VMware Workstation 7.1 release is not compatible with VMware Workstation 7.0 and earlier releases. To run a virtual machine in an older version of VMware Workstation, revert to the previous version of the WDDM driver.
    Workaround: Uninstall the current version of VMware Tools and install the previously released version.
    Yes, it's talking about a specific problem and not saying that vmware tools won't work at all, like in your case. But I guess this is evidence that VMWare Tools doesn't support backward compatibility. Again, I could be wrong.