Thread: Triple boot Vista+XP+BT2

Default Triple boot Vista+XP+BT2

I had installed vista , xp and BT2. I want use 3 of them. After xp installation i have to repair vista to make it work. But after that win xp doesnt boot. When i edit my lilo file in BT2 it shows the vista, xp and BT2 but when i try to boot from xp pssss nothing. If anyone could help me thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hell333 View Post
    I had installed vista , xp and BT2. I want use 3 of them. After xp installation i have to repair vista to make it work. But after that win xp doesnt boot. When i edit my lilo file in BT2 it shows the vista, xp and BT2 but when i try to boot from xp pssss nothing. If anyone could help me thanks!
    This seems like more of an XP or Vista problem than a BT2 problem.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Developer

even though the prez is right Im gonna answer to be nice. you mustfirst install xp and then vista. this is because vista comes with a default multi bootloader which will over ride any thing else. In xp you must install a bootloader. then 3rd you would install back track to recognize vista. then when you boot up lilo will give you a backtrack or vista choice. then when you choose vista you will get another boot screen with the vista /xp choice. Why you would want vista is beyond me but there you have it

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    even though the prez is right Im gonna answer to be nice. you mustfirst install xp and then vista. this is because vista comes with a default multi bootloader which will over ride any thing else. In xp you must install a bootloader. then 3rd you would install back track to recognize vista. then when you boot up lilo will give you a backtrack or vista choice. then when you choose vista you will get another boot screen with the vista /xp choice. Why you would want vista is beyond me but there you have it
    Thanks mate !!But i had done that before and when u edit the lilo for vista and it shows vista and only vista loads. Is there anyway that i can manually edit the vista boot file, bec i know how to do in xp but not in vista. Sorry for the offtopic but u guys are more expert on this things then me

If anyone can help me that would be great !!! I need vista bec its much more faster then xp and i need xp to run my xilinx and modelsim softwares.

Developer

Thanks mate !!But i had done that before and when u edit the lilo for vista and it shows vista and only vista loads. Is there anyway that i can manually edit the vista boot file, bec i know how to do in xp but not in vista. Sorry for the offtopic but u guys are more expert on this things then me

If anyone can help me that would be great !!! I need vista bec its much more faster then xp and i need xp to run my xilinx and modelsim softwares.
    google vista boot loader there is a free one that even recognizes lilo or grub. this thread is to off topic for me so please do the reserch your self. I'm done

Just burned his ISO

I have done this, and is my current setup on my primary laptop. This is BY NO MEANS the most elegant solution, but it works fine for me.

Acer Aspire 9410, 80gb HD

-Partitioned the HD into 50/30, 50 to be ntfs and the 30 to hold BT and other ext stuff.

-Installed XP to the 50gb partition, creating two more partitions with the XP installer (C: and E: drives), then choosing to install to C:.

-Once XP was fully installed and set up to my likings, then I put in a Vista Upgrade DVD (sent to me by Acer for use on my model laptop, but I'm guessing any upgrade disc would work with a reg key.)

-during the Vista setup, I choose a fresh install on E: - thus creating a dual-boot system the Microsoft way. Let Vista complete it's installation. Test the dual boot a few times - I haven't had any probs with XP on Vista on E:, with the exceptional case of wanting to have the same program installed in both OS and them wanting to default install to C:\Program Files\... in both OS's.

-Once you XP+Vista setup is sound, then boot into backtrack with a CD - on my hardware the USB HD install always gives me probs. The CD install is so easy I've never bothered investigating the USB-install-on-my-obscure-Acer problem.

-before startx, umount everthing and then fdisk your partition prefs for the 30gb partition. I prefer during this before cranking up X, but thats just me. Make sure you know the exact path for the linux partitions to use in the BT installer so you don't goof and try installing over your XP/Vista install.

-Startx and install Backtrack to the HD using the BT gui installer. Choose the correct path to the bt partition you created on the 30gb portion of your HD. Let BT installer complete and reboot. It will automatically boot into BT now and give no indaction that anything else is on your PC.

-From the BT command-line (before startx is my pref) use Liloconfig (3 and 4-step tutorials all over the place here, search) to basically have your boot menu display the 50gb and 30gb partitions - Choose the BT 30gb portion and backtrack boots; choose the Windows partition and it boots the Vista multi-os menu where you choose between XP and Vista.

Like I said, not elegant. Works.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Train1 View Post
    I have done this, and is my current setup on my primary laptop. This is BY NO MEANS the most elegant solution, but it works fine for me.

Acer Aspire 9410, 80gb HD

-Partitioned the HD into 50/30, 50 to be ntfs and the 30 to hold BT and other ext stuff.

-Installed XP to the 50gb partition, creating two more partitions with the XP installer (C: and E: drives), then choosing to install to C:.

-Once XP was fully installed and set up to my likings, then I put in a Vista Upgrade DVD (sent to me by Acer for use on my model laptop, but I'm guessing any upgrade disc would work with a reg key.)

-during the Vista setup, I choose a fresh install on E: - thus creating a dual-boot system the Microsoft way. Let Vista complete it's installation. Test the dual boot a few times - I haven't had any probs with XP on Vista on E:, with the exceptional case of wanting to have the same program installed in both OS and them wanting to default install to C:\Program Files\... in both OS's.

-Once you XP+Vista setup is sound, then boot into backtrack with a CD - on my hardware the USB HD install always gives me probs. The CD install is so easy I've never bothered investigating the USB-install-on-my-obscure-Acer problem.

-before startx, umount everthing and then fdisk your partition prefs for the 30gb partition. I prefer during this before cranking up X, but thats just me. Make sure you know the exact path for the linux partitions to use in the BT installer so you don't goof and try installing over your XP/Vista install.

-Startx and install Backtrack to the HD using the BT gui installer. Choose the correct path to the bt partition you created on the 30gb portion of your HD. Let BT installer complete and reboot. It will automatically boot into BT now and give no indaction that anything else is on your PC.

-From the BT command-line (before startx is my pref) use Liloconfig (3 and 4-step tutorials all over the place here, search) to basically have your boot menu display the 50gb and 30gb partitions - Choose the BT 30gb portion and backtrack boots; choose the Windows partition and it boots the Vista multi-os menu where you choose between XP and Vista.

Like I said, not elegant. Works.
    this is actually how I did it too. infact it might be the only way because of the way the windows bootloaders override each other. plus lilo does not support booting to two different ntfs partitions.

well for me easy bcd works. In my case i installed vista first then i needed xp so installed it and then BT2. But used repair option in vista so xp was not able to boot. Then booted from vista and used easy BCD and added xp. But its like when u hibernate in vista next time there are no options and its vista only loads. But before when i used to have only 2 vista and xp it gives me option vista and xp and then the hibernation thing works. Right now all works fine except i need to shutdown and cant use hibernation.

Developer

well for me easy bcd works. In my case i installed vista first then i needed xp so installed it and then BT2. But used repair option in vista so xp was not able to boot. Then booted from vista and used easy BCD and added xp. But its like when u hibernate in vista next time there are no options and its vista only loads. But before when i used to have only 2 vista and xp it gives me option vista and xp and then the hibernation thing works. Right now all works fine except i need to shutdown and cant use hibernation.
    I tried easy bcd but I could not get it to boot lilo like it claims it can