I had this problem and actually resulted into reformatting to see if I messed up somewhere with installing multiple packages. Ended up after I reformatted I got the same issue. I am connecting to a WPA2 encrypted router but it uses a WEP HEX key to authenticate I'm guessing. Someone it is using both WEP and WPA2. I went to WICD and changed my settings to a WEP HEX key and after that I was able to connect. I did some research on it before and some people said it was an issue with WICD 1.7 which I cannot confirm. Some forum posts said to down grade to WICD 1.6.2 and it would solve the problem. Best of luck to you!