Starting Nmap 5.61TEST2 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-11-15 14:42 CET
    INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
    ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)
    in fact with any command i get the error:
    Code:
    route_dst_netlink: can't find interface "eth0"
    and if i specify the iface(-e eth0):
    Code:
    I cannot figure out what source address to use for device eth0, does it even exist?
    QUITTING!
    This happens with any ifaces.

Could someone help me, pls?

hi

EDIT
    x86 permanent on usb
    Last edited by 4xh3ll; 11-20-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: nmap: interfaces/route NONE FOUND

Update:
    disabling the monitor mode on wlanx, nmap work properly with all the iface.......why???
    Please, let me know if this happens to you too. Probably i should contact nmap developers...

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Run ifconfig at the command line to show your available interfaces. That, and dmesg should give you some troubleshooting help. Are you running BT5 in a virtual machine? If so, you may need to connect/activate the network interface(s) in your VM software.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Does your system actually have a network connection? (Did you physically plug it in or have you configured a wireless connection that is actually working?)
    Do you have an address? (ifconfig)
    Did you try to get an address? (dhclient)
    etc
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by scottm99 View Post
    Run ifconfig at the command line to show your available interfaces. That, and dmesg should give you some troubleshooting help. Are you running BT5 in a virtual machine? If so, you may need to connect/activate the network interface(s) in your VM software.
    i saw dmesg before and after enabling promiscuous mode on wlan iface and no error occured

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Does your system actually have a network connection? (Did you physically plug it in or have you configured a wireless connection that is actually working?)
    Do you have an address? (ifconfig)
    Did you try to get an address? (dhclient)
    etc
    All work properly, dhclient or wicd for any ifaces(eth, wifi) and all programs (ettercap, tcpdump, wireshark, etc) work properly with all the ifaces, even in promiscuous mode. Only nmap doesn't work when promiscuous mode is enabled.

thanks

Only nmap dasen't work when promiscuous mode is enabled.
    This would have been a good detail to include in the original post. Have you tried using nmap when you're not in promiscuous mode? Can you think of a reason why nmap wouldn't work when your NIC is in promiscuous mode?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promiscuous_mode might help.

If it doesn't then please find some networking 101 tutorials and brush up.

PS > Yes I should have caught this from your second post, but for some reason promiscuous stood out more than monitor, and I also didn't pay close enough attention to realize that post 1 and post 2 were both you (I had been thinking that post 2 was an unhelpful post by someone else.....)
    Last edited by thorin; 11-17-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    This would have been a good detail to include in the original post. Have you tried using nmap when you're not in promiscuous mode? Can you think of a reason why nmap wouldn't work when your NIC is in promiscuous mode?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promiscuous_mode might help.

If it doesn't then please find some networking 101 tutorials and brush up.

Well, i know how promiscuous mode work, i think! But i can't understand why, if wlan3 is in promiscuous mode, also the eth0 is not reachable from nmap. If only wlan3 is in promiscuous mode, eth0 should be still reachable from nmap....Am I missing something about how promiscuous mode works?

Depending on what scan you are doing you can try the "--unprivileged" switch when in monitor mode.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Scamentology View Post
    Depending on what scan you are doing you can try the "--unprivileged" switch when in monitor mode.
    Thanks for the tip! this work with my debian, and it must be the same with bt5.
    I'll put SOLVED in the title, but, if someone wants to add something to the thread, I appreciate it very much!

Well, i know how promiscuous mode work, i think!
    If nmap is receiving packets from everywhere on your network and not only those destined specifically to you (your NIC) then how does it know which packets are responses to the probes it's sending out? While your network may be small (or very small) on a medium or large network this could result in a huge drain on resources (on the nmap host), so I wouldn't be surprised at all if nmap simply refuses to try....
    But i can't understand why, if wlan3 is in promiscuous mode, also the eth0 is not reachable from nmap. If only wlan3 is in promiscuous mode, eth0 should be still reachable from nmap....Am I missing something about how promiscuous mode works?
    If eth0 is configured correctly and nmap is told to use it then it should work.

You could try using the -S switch which is actually "Spoof source address" but provide the actual address you want to use (whatever eth0 is supposed to be)....
    Last edited by thorin; 11-30-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast