Thread: Booting BT-from-USB without USB-Booting-Option in BIOS (old BIOS). Help

Hybrid View

tristania

Question Booting BT-from-USB without USB-Booting-Option in BIOS (old BIOS). Help

(sorry for my bad english)

Hi folks

I got here a USB-Stick (bootable) with BT-v2F inluded.
    Its working on my friends PC (new BIOS, new BIOS) because he can Boot from USB.

Unfortunately my notebook and my PC canNOT boot from USB. Even with a latest BIOS-Version.

Is there a possibility to use/boot Backtrack from my USB-Stick anyway?

My idea would be: to create a bootable-FLOPPY or CD. This Floppy or CD would BOOT and THEN start loading Backtrack FROM the USB-Stick.
    But I dont know if its possible and how to make it. ;(

Any help/idea?

trista

Developer

Im really confused.If you can boot from cd then why not get a copy of backtrack on a live boot cd

tristania

maybe because of the "read-only" of a CD, my-configs/software etc.?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by tristania View Post
    maybe because of the "read-only" of a CD, my-configs/software etc.?
    If your machine can boot from cd then you can boot a live cd of backtrack. Your asking to boot a cd to make your usb boot and that doesnt make sense. call me crazy but why would you do that.........Tell me somthing I dont know because I love to learn and I am often wrong.

tristania

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    If your machine can boot from cd then you can boot a live cd of backtrack. Your asking to boot a cd to make your usb boot and that doesnt make sense. call me crazy but why would you do that.........Tell me somthing I dont know because I love to learn and I am often wrong.
    I often install and change stuff on "my"-BackTrack, almost every time I use BT.
    My configs/installed-software would be gone if I start the live-CD, wouldn't they?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by tristania View Post
    I often install and change stuff on "my"-BackTrack, almost every time I use BT.
    My configs/installed-software would be gone if I start the live-CD, wouldn't they?
    the live cd can be edited with your new installs. any way it seems dbfreak had a solution so maby he could post it so that other peolple will see

Just burned his ISO

i had the same problem, what i did is make a dos boot disk an include my usb dos drivers(USBASPI.SYS,ASPIDISK.SYS) then i added a line in my autoexec.bat so it ran bt/boot/dos/loadlin or you could just load it from any dos prompt if you have usb drivers loaded.

Just burned his ISO

The reason i wanted to boot from usb was because at the time i didn't have any cd around and wanted to run backtrack

tristania

Quote Originally Posted by dbfreak View Post
    i had the same problem, what i did is make a dos boot disk an include my usb dos drivers(USBASPI.SYS,ASPIDISK.SYS) then i added a line in my autoexec.bat so it ran bt/boot/dos/loadlin or you could just load it from any dos prompt if you have usb drivers loaded.
    that sounds good.
    will try it...