Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dictionary file placement question

Just burned his ISO

Default Dictionary file placement question

Okay, I have a dictionary file. Do I have to place it somewhere, or do I point BT to it? I know BT has 2 dictionaries and I can try those, but if they dont work, then i need to either point bt to the dictionary on my desktop, or, move the dictionary. Which in my case is impossible cuz Im running BT from a burned non writable cd so i cant put the dict on it.

thanks guys

Default Re: Dictionary file placement question

Depends on the program.

99% of them allows you to use a dictionary/wordlists from any location.
    ...including USB sticks (as you said its on a CD )
    Have you...g0tmi1k?

Assuming your running aircrack and that the file is on a mounted flash drive, then just point it to the file. And make sure that its less than two gig.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Just burned his ISO

Im running bt3 only cuz thats what I have that I know works. Im not familiar with bt5 cuz im a noob and just trying to get the hang of this. So everyones saying i cant do it with the cd version? i dont have a flash drive. But the dict is on my windows desktop and i cant access that if im running bt from a disk. so id need the command to point it to my desktop

Backtrack 3 is no longer supported, download the latest Backtrack 5 R1.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Quote Originally Posted by thegreattailz View Post
    Im running bt3 only cuz thats what I have that I know works. Im not familiar with bt5 cuz im a noob and just trying to get the hang of this. So everyones saying i cant do it with the cd version? i dont have a flash drive. But the dict is on my windows desktop and i cant access that if im running bt from a disk. so id need the command to point it to my desktop
    Why don't you upload it somewhere from your Windows machine and download it from BT?

Just burned his ISO

Not sure how, im running bt5 now. i need to know where to put it, or where to point bt to

Mounting different drives and pointing applications to use files from them should not be such a big deal with someone who has some Linux experience. I think if you search on Google you might find some good tutorials that show you how to do this.

Wiki: I'm new to linux, is BackTrack a good place to start ?

BackTrack is a highly specialized distro, where a lot of normal tasks are not done automatically for you as they are in a mainstream distro.

Our best advice if you wish to start off using linux with BackTrack as your first linux operating system, is don't.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

i've done alot of reading and still cannot get aircrack to open the specified directory. i am running a dual boot with windows 7. the root/desktop only took 4 gigs, so i cannot put my 10 gig wordlist file in it.... i would like to put it in the "wordlist" in FileSystem/home, because it has 78 gigs of free space.

i cannot redirect the command "aircrack-ng handshakefile-01.cap -w ./home/wordlist "

like i said, i would like to use the desktop, but there is not enough space in the root directory. any help would be much appreciated. i tried searching for a better, more specific way to enter the directory in the command prompt, but it always says "directory not found"

any help is much appreciated! thank you all.

@codius

This isn't a BackTrack or tool problem, this is a user issue.

The command "pwd" (without quotes) will tell you what your Present Working Directory is. When you reference a path as "./path/to/file" then you're telling the tool or operating system to look for "/path/to/file" starting in your pwd. If you reference a path as /path/to/file then your telling the tool or OS to look starting at / (the "bottom") for "path/to/file". Soooooo as you've listed the command above if your pwd doesn't contain "./home/worlist" then the tool or OS won't find it there.... (As a functional test you can always try ls or cat on the path you're going to give a tool and see what happens.)

These are Linux basics, you should probably familiarize yourself when a Linux OS that is targeted at new users (like Ubuntu etc) before jumping into a distribution like BackTrack which is aimed at a specific audience and contains tools which can cause you and others problems, loss of money, and loss of data.
    Last edited by thorin; 01-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast