Thread: Swap Use

Just burned his ISO

Default Swap Use

I Installed Backtrack2 final to the hard drive and created a swap partition. Backtrack recognizes the swap partition but It never seems to use it at all. Is there a way to increase the swap partitions use and use less RAM?

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ght=swap+usage

More specifically that last post by Baxter. Verify you have it on.
    Machines: Laptop = Turion 1.6mhz 1gb Vista/BT almosts..
    Desktop = Athlon 600mhz 384mb XP Voodoo 3000 16mb PCI baby!

You'll find me in the wiki.....

there's one simple way to find out:

- fire up leetmode (if you know what it is it's ok, if not: just open a shell and type "leetmode &", there you see the swap usage under the ram usage. If it's activated, it's white, not grey.

to be really really sure, you can fire up every program you got. Like, lets say, kismet, nmap, nessus, nikto, anything that uses much ram and then see if your swap is used when the ram gets full.
    The answer is 42.

Quote Originally Posted by -~operator~- View Post
    just open a shell and type "leetmode &"
    A very minor point, but the ampersand (&) is not necessary as the command executes superkaramba+techmon and then automatically returns you to the shell prompt.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Ok well I had leetmode running which is why I knew it wasn't being used. I did try to fire up everything I could to suck up memory and It did eventually use the swap, but is there anyway to actually make linux use it before all my memory is used and not just as a last resort?

Ok well I had leetmode running which is why I knew it wasn't being used. I did try to fire up everything I could to suck up memory and It did eventually use the swap, but is there anyway to actually make linux use it before all my memory is used and not just as a last resort?
    errm, well, why would you do this? the ram is way more faster that the swap.
    There are many different ways to manage swapping. I don't know which one Linux is using, but i think it will be that one of the oldest pages in ram will be swapped, which will be "least recently used". you should read before you post. if this "swapping before all ram used up" is not implemented yet, you should at least talk with Linus Torvalds about this...

A very minor point, but the ampersand (&) is not necessary as the command executes superkaramba+techmon and then automatically returns you to the shell prompt.
    ups, forgot about that. i am so used to the ampersand at the end...

......nitpicker......
    The answer is 42.

You should let your OS manage your swap. It knows what it's doing. Linux utilizes ram differently than that other OS. It "reserves" ram, which might lead you to believe that you are using more than you actually are.

If you really want to see your swap in action, open a 100mb or better dump file with wireshark. You'll see something then. Don't try this with under a gig of ram.

Have Fun

Just burned his ISO

Ok thanks I guess I'm just so used to windows still, it uses the swap file so much more than linux. I have some other problems and questions, should I start a new thread for them or just post them here?

Quote Originally Posted by theSpoon View Post
    I have some other problems and questions, should I start a new thread for them or just post them here?
    You are best starting them in new threads unless they are very very closely related as it makes it much easier for people to find them when searching if they have that problem. Just remember to include as much info as possible to help people see what you are trying to do and where the problem may be.