Thread: Trouble booting the 32-bit Gnome BT5R1 live C on a 64-bit Intel processor

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Trouble booting the 32-bit Gnome BT5R1 live C on a 64-bit Intel processor

First thing first, the 32-bit version BT5R1 should run on a 64-bit Intel Pentium processor, right? I don't have to get a 64-bit BT5, is that correct?

Here's what happens when i try to boot from a BT5R1-gnome-32 live cd:

1) i get the "copyright Peter Avind" line with a prompt line for login
    2) I press "Enter" key and get the splash screen menu with choices for "safe mod", "mem test" etc
    3) I choose the 1st one or "safe mode", and enter
    4) screen starts showing messages like "loading vmlinux", "casper/linux" etc
    5) more rolling messages about loading other stuffs but too fast to make out
    6) then blank screen ...

I checked other threads, it seems other people only get to have the blank screen after they typed 'startx" command, but I don't even get that far.

please help!
    Last edited by wpa2wire; 10-31-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Default Re: Trouble booting the 32-bit Gnome BT5R1 live C on a 64-bit Intel processor

Have you checked the MD5SUM ? Try booting the DVD on another machine, also try downloading the 64 bit version.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Trouble booting the 32-bit Gnome BT5R1 live C on a 64-bit Intel processor

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Have you checked the MD5SUM ? Try booting the DVD on another machine, also try downloading the 64 bit version.
    thanks for the response.

My internet is averaging only 80kB/s downstream, so I am hoping to avoid downloading another 1.9B of the 64-bit version. And From the look of it, it's not guaranteed to work, lots of people have blank screen issues.

also I made 2 CDs, both get the same blank screen error. so I doubt it's file corruption, but i will do the md5sum check just in case.

a bit of good news is that I have successfully installed it on VM, and so I am about to give up running it from a live CD.

Anyway, the 32-bit version is supposed to work on a 64-bit Intel pentium processor, right?

Just burned his ISO

i checked the md5 on the cd and they match.

Just burned his ISO

i'm having the same problem, but when it tries to boot it cannot find the kernel.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by wpa2wire View Post
    Anyway, the 32-bit version is supposed to work on a 64-bit Intel pentium processor, right?
    Yes, it is.
    I run BackTrack 5 32-bit GNOME on 64-bit Intel processor
    Almost all the processors that are made today are 64-bit, so BackTrack 5 has to be compatible.