Thread: BT5R1-GNOME-64bit Installing vmware-tools : Permission Denied - I'm losing it,really!

Just burned his ISO

Default BT5R1-GNOME-64bit Installing vmware-tools : Permission Denied - I'm losing it,really!

Note0: " I am able to move the mouse seamlessly in and out between the Host OS & the Gnome Desktop in VMware Workstation 8. However I am not able to copy files in and out which I presume that VMware tools are not installed by default <== if I am mistaken please correct me. WINE doesn't work in such case too."

Note1:
    " I've read the "Wiki" + "How to" and typed every command in it and made sure nothing is missing yet I'm still not able to install vmware tools in BT5R1-gnome-64"

Note2: " Do not ask me to download the VM version of BT5R1 because I have a limited download cap and by limited I mean humiliating limited "

Note3: " there's no difference in internet offers among the ISPs in my country, it is as if they all agree to set one price and NO we are not communists "

Note4: " I didn't have such a problem in BT4R2, however I need to evolve like everyone else. I tried many Linux distros but since BT is appealing as a security distro so I want to stick with it.
    However when I ought to solve a problem I'm facing in Linux in general, I end up in a chain of problems one that give birth to the other .... so please bear with me, coz I'm losing it "

Host System: M$ Windows 7 64-Bit SP1 [ i7-2600 + 4 GB RAM + 500 GB SATAII ]
    VM soft: WMware Workstation 8 (Windows)
    Guest OS: BT5R1-GNOME-64.ISO ( installed on a 20 GB virtual HDD in VMware WSKT 8 )
    [ 1 processor + 1 core (i7-2600) /1GB RAM vMEM/ 20GB vHDD]

Greetings citizens of teh UNDERGROUND, any bit of help is appreciated. Kindly no replies deviating the thread from its purpose.( no trolling please)

Problem: I am not able to install vmware-tools for BT5R1-GNOME-64.iso. In BT4R2, I used to: ./vmware-install.pl and everything run smoothly in a matter of seconds.
    In BT5R1 I am getting Permission Denied for the same command.

What I did:

I tried chmod u+x, the commands ran but then again when it reaches configuring vmware tools it throws the same Permission Denied again and again.
    then I went to the wiki and saw a page for installing the tools, I was very happy at first, downloaded the patch2639 then patch -p1 < vmtools2639.patch
    but unfortunately got a series of errors (Like it filled the screen) but I continued for dir in $(ls -l |grep only|awk -F" " '{print $8}' |cut -d"-" -f1);do tar cvf $dir.tar $dir-only;rm -rf $dir-only;done
    then vmware-config-tools.pl <= but again, hit the Permission denied thing again !! This is when I closed VM WKST 8
    and got into a deep Vampire hibernation state.

-So please, please Help anyone. did the security change from BT4r2 to BT5r1 ?
    -why the ./vmware-install.pl or even any other software needed to be installed throws a Permission Denied ?
    I believe that too much security makes life more complex for the user then someone attacking your BT OS from the outside. How can I disable this security that complicates me installing anything on BT5 especially that I am root ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Default Re: BT5R1-GNOME-64bit Installing vmware-tools : Permission Denied - I'm losing it,rea

hello,

I admittedly do not use B|T in a VM,ever; so this could be more complicated than first look. What really jumps off the page at me though,is you that are having a user permissions error while logged in as root (but within a vm); and using the chmod flags u+x. the u flag sets permission only to the specific user, and the entire thing appears to be a permissions issue. have you tried using simply chmod +x yet? by ommitting the a,u,g,o flags.; using simply the +x flag will apply execute permission to all users.

hopefully this helps you. it's the first thing i would rule out if having this sort of problem,anyway.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    hello,

I admittedly do not use B|T in a VM,ever; so this could be more complicated than first look. What really jumps off the page at me though,is you that are having a user permissions error while logged in as root (but within a vm); and using the chmod flags u+x. the u flag sets permission only to the specific user, and the entire thing appears to be a permissions issue. have you tried using simply chmod +x yet? by ommitting the a,u,g,o flags.; using simply the +x flag will apply execute permission to all users.

hopefully this helps you. it's the first thing i would rule out if having this sort of problem,anyway.
    Thanks clone for replying.
    I applied what you said using the +x only and when I reached:

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]
    I hit "no" as advised by the wiki: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/index.php/VMware_Tools

then I continued to apply what was written in the wiki:

root@bt:~# cd /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/source/ root@bt:~# for file in *.tar;do tar xpf $file;done root@bt:~# rm *.tar root@bt:~# wget www.backtrack-linux.org/vmtools2639.patch root@bt:~# patch -p1 < vmtools2639.patch When I hit enter I got the following output ... How should I proceed after that ?!

root@bt:/usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/source# patch -p1 < vmtools2639.patch
    patching file pvscsi-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file pvscsi-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmblock-only/linux/dentry.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 104.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmblock-only/linux/dentry.c.rej
    patching file vmblock-only/linux/filesystem.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 44.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 66.
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 343 (offset 7 lines).
    Hunk #4 FAILED at 537.
    Hunk #5 succeeded at 589 (offset 33 lines).
    Hunk #6 succeeded at 600 (offset 33 lines).
    3 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmblock-only/linux/filesystem.c.rej
    patching file vmblock-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmblock-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmci-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmci-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmci-only/vmci_drv.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 29.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 133.
    Hunk #3 FAILED at 715.
    3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmci-only/vmci_drv.c.rej
    patching file vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 31.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 45.
    Hunk #3 FAILED at 69.
    Hunk #4 FAILED at 105.
    Hunk #5 FAILED at 134.
    Hunk #6 succeeded at 486 (offset 3 lines).
    Hunk #7 succeeded at 497 (offset 3 lines).
    5 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c.rej
    patching file vmhgfs-only/inode.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 127.
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 1836.
    2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmhgfs-only/inode.c.rej
    patching file vmhgfs-only/request.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 42.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmhgfs-only/request.c.rej
    patching file vmhgfs-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmhgfs-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmhgfs-only/transport.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 43.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmhgfs-only/transport.c.rej
    patching file vmmemctl-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmmemctl-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmsync-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmsync-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmwgfx-only/drmP.h
    patching file vmwgfx-only/drm_fops.c
    patching file vmwgfx-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmwgfx-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmxnet-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmxnet-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vmxnet3-only/shared/compat_completion.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmxnet3-only/shared/compat_completion.h.rej
    patching file vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 102.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.c.rej
    patching file vsock-only/linux/util.c

Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n] <== I Haven't applied the patch before, because I created a new virtual machine and install BT5R1 again to be able to properly reply to your suggestion.

Thank you.
    ================================================== =================
    update: Problem Solved, I should've continued the installation with the +x only and ignored the Wiki. I still don't know the reason though
    really, really thank you clone. I feel much better now.

just for everyone else in case you had the same problem as me, here's what I did:

Shell1:
    -----------
    root@bt:~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib# chmod +x vmware-install.pl
    root@bt:~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib# ./vmware-install.pl

Creating a new VMware Tools installer database using the tar4 format.

Installing VMware Tools.

....[installation continues]

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by
    invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want
    this program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]
    yes

Initializing...

Making sure services for VMware Tools are stopped.

Before you can compile modules, you need to have the following installed...

make
    gcc
    kernel headers of the running kernel

Searching for GCC...
    Detected GCC binary at "/usr/bin/gcc".
    The path "/usr/bin/gcc" appears to be a valid path to the gcc binary.
    Would you like to change it? [no]
    no

Searching for a valid kernel header path...
    The path "" is not a valid path to the 2.6.39.4 kernel headers.
    Would you like to change it? [yes]
    yes

Enter the path to the kernel header files for the 2.6.39.4 kernel?

The path "" is not a valid path to the 2.6.39.4 kernel headers.
    Would you like to change it? [yes]
    no

WARNING: This program cannot compile any modules for the following reason(s)...

- This program could not find a valid path to the kernel headers of the running
    kernel. Please ensure that the header files for the running kernel are
    installed on this sytem.

[ Press Enter key to continue ]

opened Shell 2 then using the HOW-TO Prepare Kernel Sources ( thx muts )
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    root@bt:~/prepare-kernel-sources
    root@bt:~/cd /usr/src/linux cp -
    root@bt:~/rf include/generated/* include/linux/

continued on Shell 1:
    ---------------------
    [ Press Enter key to continue ]

.....[installation continues]

Enjoy,

--the VMware team
    Found VMware Tools CDROM mounted at /media/VMware Tools. Ejecting device
    /dev/sr0 ...

and I was good to GO ^_-
    Thanks for clone & muts for help.

Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-28-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Merged

Default Re: BT5R1-GNOME-64bit Installing vmware-tools : Permission Denied - I'm losing it,rea

you sometimes have to take tutorials with a grain of salt,if and when you see syntax errors.

i am glad you got it fixed sir

Just burned his ISO

I just registered to say thanks!
    Thank you zer0c00l, clone and muts. I was able to get vmware tools working because of this thread.