Thread: Window7 Home Premium & BT5 (Boot Loader Problem)

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Window7 Home Premium & BT5 (Boot Loader Problem)

First Of All i want to say that i have Searched Forum Before Posting this and Yes Even i have Googled. I Really Need your Help

My Problem is that i have Window7 Home Premium installed on my Pc ( C: ) and i want to Install BT5 Too. I Know about (Side by Side Installation) But Window7 home Premium Doesn't Support (Dynamic Disc) you can Check it.

After Knowing that Win7 Home Premium doesn't Support (Dynamic Disc) then i decided to make a Separate partion (so i shrinked C: about 20Gb) but that was useless,but i still Installed BT5 on (39GB) { 20Gb + 19.5Gb"Win7 Recovery"} I even Sacrificed "Recovery Partition" Thank God i was having my "DVD Backup"

So BT5 was working fine but when i tried to Load Window7 Home premium It Just Started and on Flash screen it got Stuck and System Rebooted.

How can i make a Separate Partition When i have Window7 Home Premium on C: . I don't Know What to Do. Please if Some one Can help me because there are many other People Who also Don't Want to Lose Windo7 and also want to Install BT5 on there Notebooks. Thanks

Default Re: Window7 Home Premium & BT5 (Boot Loader Problem)

hi,
    I'm not Hard Drive expert and if I did understood you correctly from your post I believe your hard drive is organized as basic disk and not dynamic one.
    that mean your HD has only MBR and partitions and not LDM databes included as dynamic one does have.

so if we suppose u have basic disk then just make shore that windows 7 doesn't have an extra so called "system reserved " partition which is about 32MB size and it is created automatically on hard drives with no partitions while installing windows (vista,XP and 7 as well).
    if u do have such partition make shore you don't delete it (which is similar manner as with LDM on dynamic disks)... in short therm if you delete "system reserved" partition your windows will never boot again unless you recover it with DVD or what ever recovery metod (that mean if you recover it than backtrack will not boot then cos MBR will be replaced in that case you'll have to reinstall grub loader)
    to answer your question if you wnat to install side by side, just make shore you don't delete "system reserved" partition FOR NOW (if any),
    boot up backtrack and in installation dialog window select "manually create partitions"(or however is called) (it's last option in that window)...
    on next window screen you will see partition table. (problem is that you MAY NOT shrink windows partition from that dialog (OR ANY OTHER LINUX TOOL) cos that will screw up you windows installation (if you don't know what ur doing).
    rather boot into your windows and shrink partition 'C' from there (in computer management console)...that will make shure that windows still work fine after partition has been edited, by the way look for other partitions like unused one, system reserved etc and decide which one you will use for backtrack (of course not system reserved LEAVE IT IF IT IS THERE).
    when you've done with shrinking from windows return to your backtrack installation and create ext 3 or ex4 partition from free disk space (leave system reserved if any and windows parition)

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: Window7 Home Premium & BT5 (Boot Loader Problem)

Quote Originally Posted by Starving4knowledge View Post
    First Of All i want to say that i have Searched Forum Before Posting this and Yes Even i have Googled. I Really Need your Help

My Problem is that i have Window7 Home Premium installed on my Pc ( C: ) and i want to Install BT5 Too. I Know about (Side by Side Installation) But Window7 home Premium Doesn't Support (Dynamic Disc) you can Check it.

After Knowing that Win7 Home Premium doesn't Support (Dynamic Disc) then i decided to make a Separate partion (so i shrinked C: about 20Gb) but that was useless,but i still Installed BT5 on (39GB) { 20Gb + 19.5Gb"Win7 Recovery"} I even Sacrificed "Recovery Partition" Thank God i was having my "DVD Backup"

So BT5 was working fine but when i tried to Load Window7 Home premium It Just Started and on Flash screen it got Stuck and System Rebooted.

How can i make a Separate Partition When i have Window7 Home Premium on C: . I don't Know What to Do. Please if Some one Can help me because there are many other People Who also Don't Want to Lose Windo7 and also want to Install BT5 on there Notebooks. Thanks

HI,
    I guess i may help like this:

1. You have shrink your wind*ws partition (C:/),
    2. Do you have formatted the Linux partition (ext3) and prepare for another partition for swap ?
    3. Meaning, You must have C:/ - for wind*ws partition, D:/ - for linux partition , and 1 (one) partition for linux swap.
    4. Then, You start to install BT5 from booting (restart Your computer and start from CD)
    5. When You are in CHOOSE PARTITION, you must choose "manually choose partition"
    6. There will be show Your partition for windows, new partition ext3 and swap partition.
    7. Edit/put your partition for Linux to put main linux program (ext3 and tick format). also choose "use this partition"
    8. Also check the swap partition "use this partition as swap"
    9. Check if there still option "install grub loader on sda/).
    10. Finally you can start to install.

I quite sure above, because i also have dual booting in my laptop.

Have a good BT5.

Note:
    Please dont forget to choose to download the proper BT5, there have BT5 for 64 bit, and 32 bit.
    Check you computer first.

Regard,
    felixian

I think you should reinstall Windows 7 maybe the MBR of the windows 7 corrupted during process of the partitioning your hd. after reinstall repair boot loader on the BT5 follow this http://longjidinz.blogspot.com/2011/...cktrack-5.html i hope this will help you

happy hunting

i also have problem just like that few years ago but resolve the problem
    Last edited by longjidin; 11-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks To You All. As i have mentioned in my Question that I was Receiving Error/Warning of Dynamic Disc {Saying you would not be able to Install New OS on this Newly Made partition using Disk Management} and I was Also facing Problem of {Couldn't Convert Drive to Dynamic As Window7 Home Premium Doesn't Support it} So I used Third Party Software and it helped me.

Third party Software = Partitionwizard From Partitionwizard.com

It Helped me Converting My C: Drive to Logical and then I was Able to See "Side By Side" Option...

Thanks To you All ... Close this Thread!!