Thread: Best/Cheapest Netbook that works with Backtrack 4?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Best/Cheapest Netbook that works with Backtrack 4?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good and cheap netbook that is completely compatible with backtrack 4?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Best/Cheapest Netbook that works with Backtrack 4?

Your questions are not meant to be in the hardware compatibility section. That is why there are labels. Post in the correct section. It's not hard.

Almost any that can run Linux

All you need is Wi-Fi card that support monitor mode

I think that u should buy USB wlan card, cause it could have a better antenna, its not inside a laptop. I have ALFA AWUS036H 1000mw for 40€ so its not that expensive to have a good card that works.

Netbooks are pretty much identical hardware wise. I know many use acer aspire one's, I personally went with an Asus EeePC 1005HA. Mainly due to the fact it uses atheros for both wireless & ethernet. What I would do is make a list of specs you want: screen size, hard drive vs solid state etc. Then narrow down further based on looks, most should work fine with BT4. This question was asked several times on the old forum at remote-exploit.org. You may want to search there if you haven't already, while the old forum is still around.

I've got BT4 installed to my 16Gb SSD on my ASUS EEE 900 on an ext2 filesystem (non-journalling, saves battery power and allegedly extends the life of the SSD). It's also got an AR242x Atheros chipset, so it's set for packet injection out of the box.

I've had zero problems with it, other than the puny keyboard. When I bought it (new when it first hit the shelves) it cost me $399 CAD. Since then, they've come WAY down in price. Shouldn't be hard to find one. Check Ebay.

Spiidey out.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    I think that u should buy USB wlan card, cause it could have a better antenna, its not inside a laptop. I have ALFA AWUS036H 1000mw for 40€ so its not that expensive to have a good card that works.
    while this is seemingly a basic suggestion, it's still good advice. i use the asus eeepc1000hd and it works very nicely with backtrack 3 or 4. the ralink card in it, while working fine/injecting,etc; has quite disappointingly poor performance. everything else about the eeepc1000hd is really nice for the price.