So, I've tried taking a journey through Linux a few times now with lets says less than happy results. I just recently bought an usb alf wifi card, and decided to give Backtrack another try. I have ran into nothing but problems, literally one after another. I also tried Ubuntu, and it seemed nothing worked right either.

As for Backtrack, I've tried Backtrack 5 r1 32 bit and 64 bit, and also Backtrack 5 32 bit and 64 bit, all with their set of problems. The first issue that I've tried to get past with all versions is, I have a pci broadcom card in my acer aspire one, and it seems I have to install my own driver for it. Backtrack 5 r1 won't let me compile the broadcom driver period. I download the driver, unpack it, try to make clean it, and it gives me an error saying cfg80211 and wireless extension isn't enabled in kernel. Now if I run just make, it'll start, but won't compile the actual .ko file, it throws up an error saying something like too few arguments in some function. It does this with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. I have also tried installing jockey and installing the sta driver through that, and it throws up an error saying installation couldn't continue. I have made sure backtrack is fully updated, and that I have the kernel sources and linux sources, and still throws up those errors.

Backtrack 5 will actually let me compile the driver and then install it, both versions 32 bit and 64 bit. It still throws up an error on make clean, saying neither cfg80211 nor wireless extension is enabled in kernel. Make runs and creates a .ko file but still throws me some errors, but it installs fine. The problem is, when I try to connect to my network, the OS completely freezes. I can however restart, and try again but it freezes just the same. However, now I can't even get into Backtrack, it freezes soon after typing startx, sometimes I'll get the backtrack backsplash and others I won't. Either way, the OS won't start.

Now I don't know if I just have crappy luck with Linux, or if this operating system is just so buggy its unusable. I have looked into every error I'm getting, and it seems I've only been able to come up with one post on the entire internet, and the issue is still unresolved.

I have a brand new Acer Aspire One with an AMD C-60, brand new processor just released, so I'm not sure if that's the issue I wouldn't see why it would be but whatever. Anyways, I'd appreciate anything anyone has to say about my issue, and whether I should just quit trying with Linux or what. I also didn't mention that I tried installing the newest Ubuntu and just installing aircrack on that, but that also ended in a ton of errors. I've been trying to get some form of Linux up and running on this netbook now for the past 4 days.