Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem loading backtrack 2

Default Problem loading backtrack 2

I installed the full version of bt2final on my laptop, have been using it for a few months with no problems. I made no changes to my computer before I had this problem, but here it is

When I load BT, I entered startx, then it hung on peripherals when it was loading them, then it went back to the "dos" screen and I wasn't able to load the KDE BT. I entered flux to load the fluxbox, but after I did that for the first time, whenever I type in startx, it loads flux and not the KDE. How do I fix this? I don't like flux as much as kde (more used to it).

Sorry I posted this in here, I couldn't post in the bg2final forum and I'd like to fix this sooner than later. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by unlazyfree View Post
    I installed the full version of bt2final on my laptop, have been using it for a few months with no problems. I made no changes to my computer before I had this problem, but here it is

When I load BT, I entered startx, then it hung on peripherals when it was loading them, then it went back to the "dos" screen and I wasn't able to load the KDE BT. I entered flux to load the fluxbox, but after I did that for the first time, whenever I type in startx, it loads flux and not the KDE. How do I fix this? I don't like flux as much as kde (more used to it).

Sorry I posted this in here, I couldn't post in the bg2final forum and I'd like to fix this sooner than later. Thanks!
    Delete the file .xinitrc in the /root directory. Then:
    Code:
    xconf
    then
    Code:
    startx
    Please use the search function. This same question has been answered several times, as recently as a few days ago!

See also:
    "Slackware Linux Essentials
    Chapter 6 X Configuration
    6.3 xinitrc

xinit(1) is the program that actually starts X; it is called by startx(1), so you may not have noticed it (and probably don't really need to). Its configuration file, however, determines which programs (including and especially the window manager) are run when X starts up. xinit first checks your home directory for a .xinitrc file. If the file is found, it gets run; otherwise, /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc (the systemwide default) is used."
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Delete the file .xinitrc in the /root directory. Then:
    Code:
    xconf
    then
    Code:
    startx
    Please use the search function. This same question has been answered several times, as recently as a few days ago!
    wow I never expected a response so fast! thanks!

also I wasn't sure what keywords to search

I tried to look for the file .xinitrc in the /boot directory however I couldn't find it. Was there a typo or something?

Ok I found a file named xinitrc but they're located in the etc folder, and there's like 5 of em, as well as xinitrc.fluxbox and xinitrc.kde

and two files named xinitrc, which do I delete?

Quote Originally Posted by unlazyfree View Post
    Ok I found a file named xinitrc but they're located in the etc folder, and there's like 5 of em, as well as xinitrc.fluxbox and xinitrc.kde

and two files named xinitrc, which do I delete?
    You can try
    Code:
    startkde
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    You can try
    Code:
    startkde
    I was able to fix it (searched and did come up with a fix for it) however I still have the problem of it not loading my peripherals..at least I think that's the problem. When loading (after typing startx) and it's going through the 6 or so icons showing it's loading, it gets hung up on peripherals, then it goes back to the "DOS" screen (BT #~ or whatever) and I can't load the KDE interface. What should I do now? I'd like to avoid reloading backtrack as I've updated some of the security programs, but if that's my only option, I could live. Thanks for the help so far!

great, another problem

I ran xconf kde and now it says fatal error, screen can't be found or something like that. Should I just reinstall backtrack, or is there an easy fix for this?

Is there a way I can reset backtrack to it's original settings without using the live CD? I don't have the CD anymore and want to try something else before I buy CDs and reburn it and reinstall it.

I'm able to boot onto flux or whatever it's called just fine. I remember in kde there was a backtrack installer in the menu options, can I do it that way in flux somewhere?

You could try deleting your xorg.conf file completely...then reboot...root...toor..xconf...then startx. What this will do is destroy your xorg .conf file and create a new one based on your xconf command and startx to run the newly created file. This may work.

BTW your xorg.conf is located in your /etc/X11directory.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast