Thread: Help- vmware and alfa dont connect

Just burned his ISO

Default Help- vmware and alfa dont connect

Hi, im super new to BT and im running it in VMware player. My main OS is Windows 7

So I got a question.

Ive been working for about a day, reading threads, looking up videos... still cant find anything that can fix my problem, so I registered for this forum to ask.... how the hell do I set up my Alfa Awu036h to connect to BT5 on vmware???

Here is what Ive done to try to fix it-

on windows 7 in my ALFA utility interface, I have clicked the box "enable virtual wifi" then set the ICS to "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter" I have played around with the other options, but still nothing. I have also tried using a different usb port, still nothing.

Then I run VMware, start up BT 5 and im looking for the alfa but can't find it. when I look at vmwares removable devices the alfa does not come up, when I start airmon-ng it doesnt find the alfa either. I AM SO LOST. I have been able to bridge my internal wifi card with vmware to get internet, but I bought the alfa specificly for Backtrack. I want to test my WEP and WPA security, and play around with armitage.

eventually im going to dual boot BT and windows 7 but .... ugh. My computer is a Lenovo x120e and it doesnt have a cd drive so I need to borrow a external cd drive.

All that being said, does anyone have some suggestions, or can point me in a direction they think would work?

Thanks,
    ~Snacks

Default Re: Help- vmware and alfa dont connect

In your vmware settings, you may need to enable your wireless card under USB devices to allow backtrack access to that USB connection (listed as RTL8187). Did you try this?

A side note: The terminal command lsmod will list all drivers currently in use by backtrack, [looking for RTL8187 in that list is] a useful way to test whether your alfa card is connected or not.

Just burned his ISO

ok, so VMware is now picking up on the Alfa, it comes up in removable devices. all i needed to do is uninstall the alfa and re install. So

when I run airmon-ng it comes up, and I got everything to work, except when I run aireplay it gets super laggy, i think its VMware though... so i think im going to have to wait till i dual boot BT 5 ,HOWEVER

im now exploring armitage, and I dont think its using the alfa, i think its using the bridged wifi from my computer. It picks up on other hosts, but when I try an attack (like a hail mary) none of the hosts turn red and I cant really do anything... also when I disconnect the bridge connection and NAT connection and just run the Alfa, I get no connection. So now I am really confused.

the alfa's software is only installed on windows, not on vmware, or in BT5, I think this might be the problem, but im not sure how to install things on the backtrack in general :p.

have you try the 'airmon-ng start (xxxxxx) put your wireless card in xxxxx then enter see the result .......if ok it will be in monitor mode if not ok you can try rfkill follow this link http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...l-rtl8187.html

@longjidin Your idea is good, but Iwant to give him something easier to follow
    @BabySnacks Disable NAT and Bridge, then:
    type in iwconfig after your alfa is connected to vmware.
    when you find your wireless interface (wlan0 usually) type in airmon-ng wlan0
    if that works, your card is fine.
    if it has problems, then use the rfkill solution and try again. I have the same things as you and use the rfkill solution. good luck.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
    @longjidin Your idea is good, but Iwant to give him something easier to follow
    @BabySnacks Disable NAT and Bridge, then:
    type in iwconfig after your alfa is connected to vmware.
    when you find your wireless interface (wlan0 usually) type in airmon-ng wlan0
    if that works, your card is fine.
    if it has problems, then use the rfkill solution and try again. I have the same things as you and use the rfkill solution. good luck.
    If the above doesn't work you can try using the IEEE r8187 legacy driver, I was getting the SIOCSIFFLAGS Unknown error 132 which meant I had to force the card into an enabled state, after re-installing bt5 R1 and disabling the NAT and bridge I no longer had any problems with my Alfa.