Thread: BackTrack 5 won't load on VMWare

Just burned his ISO

Question BackTrack 5 won't load on VMWare

Hello; new to all this stuff. Just found out three days ago-- so treat me like an idiot, because i really have no idea how this works. Willing to learn, though. Honest.

I've downloaded VMWare earlier today so that i could try dual-booting. Running a 64-Bit version of windows 7 on a laptop. Don' think model of my computer will matter, so i'm not going to bother. I've tried running it on Other Linux 2.6.x kernel both the regular and 64-bit version. Same for Ubuntu. I have an ISO version of backtrack it's on my desktop. Here's its name: "BT5-GNOME-64". Here are my settings that i've put in while setting up a new 'VM':

The max size i've set on 20.0GB, & I'm keeping this as one big file. Not sure if running dual processors, so i'm keeping it at 1. New CD/DVD i've set to the ISO image file. Network adapter's at NAT, & everything else is the same.
    These are my settings thus far as an image:
    http://i56.tinypic.com/21cxw0p.jpg
    when i try to power it up, i get the vmware screen, followed by the copyright screen, where you hit enter to boot. I've tried all the options that pop up on the screen that comes up afterwards, and waited for it to auto-boot as well. none of them load, but most show me the image below.

Here's the screen that pops up. It's been like that for a good 1/2 hour already.
    asdfasdfasdf.jpg Screen says "Loading._"

thanks for any tips, hints, anything.
    -xi

Default Re: BackTrack 5 won't load on VMWare

I can't read what that screen says. (It's too small, sorry.) But if it says isolinux then just hit enter... I have a Win7 laptop w/ BT5 vmware guest, and every time I want to create a new machine for whatever reason I need to hit enter there.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
    I can't read what that screen says. (It's too small, sorry.) But if it says isolinux then just hit enter... I have a Win7 laptop w/ BT5 vmware guest, and every time I want to create a new machine for whatever reason I need to hit enter there.
    ah, crap. didn't know it'd come out so tiny...
    the non-tinypic screen says "Loading. _"
    the underscore doesn't move.

We have a VMware version of Backtrack already, why install the Gnome iso when you can simply add it to VMware and it's done. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    We have a VMware version of Backtrack already, why install the Gnome iso when you can simply add it to VMware and it's done. http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/
    [sorry i'm so new to this OTL]
    thanks for the idea, but i'm not etirely sure of what you're saying so... just gonna ask in case i'm wrong...
    are you saying that i should do the GNOME version and simply run it on VMware with the same settings? those ISO files are huge, so before i go around downloading for an hour and a half, i'd like to know...

Because 1:kde is prettier. I know he has gnome anyway.... kde is still prettier. 2: the hard drive is annoying small for wordlists, and resizing is a pain. 3: he wants 64 not 32 bit.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
    Because 1:kde is prettier. I know he has gnome anyway.... kde is still prettier. 2: the hard drive is annoying small for wordlists, and resizing is a pain. 3: he wants 64 not 32 bit.
    but what difference does it make when based off the other version? is there something that i need to change in the settings?