Thread: USB Wifi adapter for BT 5 in wmware

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb USB Wifi adapter for BT 5 in wmware

Hi,
    I'm looking for USB wifi adapter which will work in BT5 under wmware without any problem. Netgear WNA1100 or TP-LINK TL-WN321G have great price for value. But I can't find any list of supported devices.

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: USB Wifi adapter for BT 5 in wmware

According to the BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide (that's a mouthful I know) the Alfa AWUS036H is recommended as working 'out of the box'. I myself have ordered one from Amazon (about 30-ish bucks depending on what you want for antenna) so I can't say from personal experience that it does work as advertised. A lot of good reviews on Amazon.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

I own the Alfa AWUS036H, and it works as advertised for me (monitor mode & packet injection) out of the box. This is on BT5r1, 32-bit GNOME version (both as a virtual machine, and as standard install). The only downsides is that it gets pretty warm (e.g. running Kismet for 2-3 hours just capturing packets), and it is a power hog. I've noticed a considerable decrease in laptop battery life while using it.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

I've got two of 'em. 9 dbi and 5dbi. I haven't had the powerhog issues, but the warm thingmay be a problem. But it is an amazing card.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Agreed...the Alfa has worked well for me. I don't know what to think about the power issues, but it is certainly noticeable.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

The Alfa AWUS036H worked out of the box for me as well, it's a solid yet inexpensive card, perfect for anyone that's just getting started with aircrack/bt5.