Thread: SHA512 hashcat crack results in zero.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default SHA512 hashcat crack results in zero.

Good afternoon/morning all,

I am having some difficulty attempting to crack a SHA512 with salt hash that I pulled from BT.

I created a password of "backtrack" and pulled the hash. I then created a one word dictionary of "backtrack" and attempted to crack it with hashcat (as I believe that to be the only tool available to crack it). I am turning up absolutely no results, yet receive no errors from hashcat.

The execution line I am using is as follows: "$./hahscat-cli32.bin --hash-mode=1800 hash.file dict.file".

Again, I receive no errors, yet receive only "0" results.

I hope it is ok for me to post this question here in the BT forums, as I am at a loss, and can only think of this community in regards to help.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a different tool (pretty certain ive tried everything ive found), then I am all ears. I would really like to get past this point, but am stuck in a rut.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
    -Chrisso

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: SHA512 hashcat crack results in zero.

Please close this thread.

I have found that JTR actually took care of this for me. I didnt try cracking the hash with JTR after BT5r1, so I was unaware of the updates to JTR.

Just goes to show you that you shouldn't ever give up on your tools!

This was a mistake made by me, but I'm glad that I was able to get some help making it work.

Regards,
    -Chrisso
    Last edited by Chrisso; 11-04-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Unhappy Re: SHA512 hashcat crack results in zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisso View Post
    Good afternoon/morning all,

I am having some difficulty attempting to crack a SHA512 with salt hash that I pulled from BT.

I created a password of "backtrack" and pulled the hash. I then created a one word dictionary of "backtrack" and attempted to crack it with hashcat (as I believe that to be the only tool available to crack it). I am turning up absolutely no results, yet receive no errors from hashcat.

The execution line I am using is as follows: "$./hahscat-cli32.bin --hash-mode=1800 hash.file dict.file".

Again, I receive no errors, yet receive only "0" results.

I hope it is ok for me to post this question here in the BT forums, as I am at a loss, and can only think of this community in regards to help.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a different tool (pretty certain ive tried everything ive found), then I am all ears. I would really like to get past this point, but am stuck in a rut.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
    -Chrisso
    yes,I also have this problem, hashcat cannot crack sha512 password(from /etc/shadow),I have no idea

Just burned their ISO

There is a site on a theme interesting you.

Just burned their ISO

maybe someone can help me please?

Hello, so when I began the hashcat and realized how long it would take to scan, it took about 3 and half days. But I couldn't help out of curiosity to see if it was really doing its job correctly, so, I found a medium sized *.txt file from the xploitz pass folder (thank you) and wrote the password of my wpa2 in there and resaved the file. This is what I noticed:

oclHashcat-plus64.exe -m 2500 jones-3.hccap passwords22.txt --force
    I haven't figured out why I have to use the --force, but I use one more code out of curiosity

oclHashcat-plus64.exe -m 2500 -r rules/best64.rule jones-3.hccap passwords22.txt --force

so BOTH of these codes work when I put my WPA2 password in a list that was line by line vertically, it is successful.
    but when I tried using a list with no spaces: thisguy338personRose38pedal, etc, etc and put my password in between
    both of the code will not find it.

so that makes me wonder, because after browsing through a lot of the .txt files, I realized many are like that, no spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Insuttism View Post
    There is a site on a theme interesting you.