Thread: damn conexant chip!

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default damn conexant chip!

Dear all, sorry for my bad english.
    I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D1845 laptop with this wireless card: Gemtek WL850FJx (Conexant)
    Chipset: Intersil Corporation ISL3886 Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow (rev 01)
    pciid: 1260:3886 (rev 01)
    I know I can use ndiswrapper to mount a widows driver once I have load a livedistro like ubuntu or knoppix but the problem is that Backtrack is not able to load at all. It crash with a kernel panic message when it try to install the wireless card. The message is very long with stack value etc. (I try to make a photo of the display but it is quite impossible)
    So my question is: is there a way to say at backtrack boot prompt to ignore the wireless installation?
    Ah! I cannot remove the wireless because it is integrate in the mainboard.
    Thanks

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by morphic View Post
    I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D1845 laptop with this wireless card: Gemtek WL850FJx (Conexant)
    I know I can use ndiswrapper to mount a widows driver once I have load a livedistro like ubuntu or knoppix but the problem is that Backtrack is not able to load at all. It crash with a kernel panic message when it try to install the wireless card. The message is very long with stack value etc. (I try to make a photo of the display but it is quite impossible)
    So my question is: is there a way to say at backtrack boot prompt to ignore the wireless installation?
    Ah! I cannot remove the wireless because it is integrate in the mainboard.
    Thanks
    Did you try going into the BIOS and disabling the Wireless card?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

disable it in the bios....or try

boot: bt nohotplug disable almost all hardware autodetection in the case of hangups. Your hardware won't be detected at all, you'll have to use "pcimodules" command after logging into SLAX and you'll have to try to modprobe all needed modules from the list manually
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    disable it in the bios....or try

boot: bt nohotplug disable almost all hardware autodetection in the case of hangups. Your hardware won't be detected at all, you'll have to use "pcimodules" command after logging into SLAX and you'll have to try to modprobe all needed modules from the list manually
    I've tried the easy way (bios) but it seems no have options about wireless.
    The other solution sounds terrible for a linux newbie like me, but if I must put my lazy hands under the cap .... I'll try. If you can give me some hints about pcimodules and modprobe use ....... thanks

Just burned his ISO

Default kernel bug

I have tried to understand better the error message. Here it is:

Kernel bug at
    drivers/net/wireless/prism54/isl_388xx.c:232!

invalid opcode : 0000 [#1]

Modules linked in: "......... a long list of modules"
    CPU ........eax ...... all the register value .....
    stack image ...........
    kernel panic - notsyncing:fatal exception in interrupt

so, I'm not a c programmer and I'm a linux newbie but with the option bt debug, can I say to the system: "please don't load/compile the isl_388xx.c driver"?
    Any idea are welcome ..... plz help me!

Quote Originally Posted by morphic View Post
    I know I can use ndiswrapper to mount a widows driver once I have load a livedistro like ubuntu or knoppix but the problem is that Backtrack is not able to load at all.
    This is the same chipset as is used in the 3COM 3CRWE154G72 v1 which uses the prism54 driver so should it not be able to just use the built in prism54 drivers ? Forgive me if I am wrong on this, its just that I am pretty sure I recognise the chipset as being the same as my 3com card above.