Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anger, Dissent, Dismay, Tolerance, Pain

Default Anger, Dissent, Dismay, Tolerance, Pain

Gents,

I love this forum, I have learned a lot of knowledge here. People from all over the world come to this place just to learn things about Back|Track, Hacking, and Linux in general. This forum fosters growth and kinmanship. That is exactly what it is designed for and it does the job well.

The above said, here is something I do not get. Why do the people on this forum entertain simple questions that could have been answered by just doing a little research on google? Why do you keep spoonfeeding people answers? Curious what I mean?

The list could go on and on with threads I have encountered on here.

Admin/Moderators, correct me if I am wrong in my thinking; and if I am I apologize.....
    -
    This place is for: Learning Back|Track and how to use the tools within.....
    -
    It is not: The I am too lazy to look up simple questions that I could have found with google, but instead wished to have people spoonfeed me every single answer while pretending to my small group of lonely friends to be the most l33t sup3r H@x0r the world has ever seen, lazy idiot's guide to linux.

Again, if I am wrong in my thinking I apologize. I have just noticed a very strong influx of ridiculous questions over the past 2-3 months that could have been answered simply by doing research -vs- hoping people will spoonfeed the answers. It gets on my nerves and makes me irate. I had to vent.....

Heh, I picked a stupid title didnt I?
    Last edited by snafu777; 10-09-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Default Re: Anger, Dissent, Dismay, Tolerance, Pain

What you said is true and is even part of BT forums' policy. But I think the admins/mods have a lot of work on their hands, let it be "IRL" or on this forum. Nobody forces you to spoonfeed people or even to read their posts by the way

So, I get you point, but I think we should just be indulgent towards the work mods do and can provide.

Cheers
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

So your answer is to silence those who share? any reason? (honest question)

Lets face it... when everything winds up in the "cloud" 90% of those being spoonfed will have useless data. Times are about to change if you haven't noticed and communities like this are about to be decimated.

Lets also hope the Linux community has an answer for online operating systems or this whole experiment will have been pointless and the entire Linux community will become extinct in just a few years.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

comaX,

Nobody forces you to spoonfeed people or even to read their posts by the way
    Touche` Sir...Well Answered...

Scamentology,

So your answer is to silence those who share? any reason? (honest question)
    No, I am not trying to silence those who share; I'm simply asking why there are such Beginner Linux I don't know my head from my arse type questions being asked on THIS Forum. That is what I believe other forums such as http://ubuntuforums.org are for. Such is the purpose of my whole post; to find out why people are entertaining such questions, and maybe perhaps enlighten me as to why it is taking place on a Forum as beholden as Back|Track of all places. Hopefully, more people will weigh in on this.... I thank you for taking the time to do so.

Lets face it... when everything winds up in the "cloud" 90% of those being spoonfed will have useless data.
    1) It is not feasible to have everything in the cloud. It's such a bad idea; and I believe you are misled if you believe the "community (that's us...the Hackers....yes I am proud to claim that title)" would let such a thing happen. It's a "nice" thought right now for the masses, but in reality, let's face it, the first true massive data loss is just a lawsuit away from shutting down any real perspective of this "cloud" they all speak of....

2) Of the spoonfed with the "useless" data (I'm assuming you are referring to possible data loss due to a hack)....whose fault will it be? A computer is just like any weapon, and per the 4 Marine Corps Weapons Safety Rules: "Never Point a Weapon at Anything YOU Do Not Intend to Shoot" ..... If they point it at their own head and blow it off because they chose (Yes they make a choice, conscious or not) to act like idiots with computers and just use them without understanding them and how they work or function with other computers to form this wonderful experiment called the "Internet"...Well....That's on them. I do have anger, dissent, and dismay towards malicious fools who misuse the knowledge "We few, we happy few, we band of hackers" possess.

Granted now, those feelings are in certain levels towards certain things...i.e..
    - Arp Spoofing my wife to 127.0.0.1 when I want to preserve bandwidth because she's using too much and asking, Honey...Is the internet working?, while I surf happily, Thats quite alright.....
    - Obliging my neighbors who would wish to "Borrow" a cup of packets on my "Open" wifi that is open because I am doing some testing, and not because I'm an idiot.......with some upside down internet or really strange and whacked out "DNS" replies...That's cool too
    - Hopefully one day working with the NSA to destroy the Chinese Government and their nonsense...Yep nobody wants to publicly admit it, but they are some dirty folks and commit "Acts of War" against the US Infrastructure every day, and I'd be happy to oblige my Country if asked to destroy them packet wise......

- Criminals abusing people via computers who don't know enough to protect themselves?....I have no pity on them when they get caught, but, it takes two to tango, point blank... and the "Victims" should have known better...It's really a "Chicken -vs- Egg" style argument and each side could argue back and forth for eternity.... In the end though, aside from 0 days..., there is NO excuse at all for getting "pwned"

Times are about to change if you haven't noticed and communities like this are about to be decimated.
    What communities do you refer to? Hackers? I'd be curious to know what you mean by this.....

Lets also hope the Linux community has an answer for online operating systems or this whole experiment will have been pointless and the entire Linux community will become extinct in just a few years.
    The answer is simple:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # filename: CloudAnswer.sh
    ping StupidIdeaKnownAsCloud.idiotic.idea > foo
    var=`cat foo | head -n 1 | awk '{print $3}' | sed -e 's/[()]//g'`
    hping3 -i u1 -S -p 80 $var
    Again, Thank you for taking the time and responding with your thoughts on this thread....Keep em coming!!
    Last edited by snafu777; 10-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

@snafu777

Great. I'm glad you weren't offended by my comment. I really wanted to spark conversation.

The "cloud" is going to happen because its the only way to centralize information. This will also reduce the energy consumption of the nation as the need for computing power will be drastically reduced. Its also an efficient way to control content. I believe that certain corporations have enough interest in this to make it happen. For some of us who are seeing whats happening. We are torn on the issue.

The only thing that won't be in the "cloud" are your MP3 and movie collections. When Windows 8 goes into full effect you can expect personal computers to be sold mainly in specialty shops (not now but in years to come). The tablet and smart phone will be the main means of connecting.

The decimated community I was referring to is the hacker community. It goes up and down throughout the years and has been on the upswing for many years. as with any bubble... well - you know. Now the Linux community will just have to organize some form of answer to this coming wave of online interfaces. The PC is currently "going out of style"

There will ALWAYS be a hacker community and I will be part of it. As far as China is concerned I agree that they are involved in some intense activity. But so are we. We just need to step it up a notch. Right now the hackers aren't getting hired so things will be like the wild west for a while. There is a great talk on Ted.com about hiring the hackers I recommend you watch.

Nice bash script. I loled
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

I've always felt, spoonfeed as you will. Most who are not truly interested in learning usually hit enough stumbling blocks to encourage them to quit due to difficulty. The individuals who have the drive to continue, be it with help or by power of their own to accomplish tasks and overcome troubles are the ones that we want in the community.

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Interesting discussion...I would like to chime in (and thankfully none of my threads were in the spoonfeed examples ) I think iproute is spot-on with his 12:49 AM post today. Now, let me state that nothing helps reinforce my knowledge better than helping someone else; whether the question is hard, easy, dumb, etc. It's very difficult to teach problem-solving skills, which is an absolute requirement when it comes to hacking, or info systems in general. But, if you can teach the beginners the basics well enough, the beginner will learn to problem-solve on his own.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Moderated Member

I have to be honest I am new to this forum, and though I am not a total noobie by any means I am no where near some of the jargon that these guys speak. I am grateful once in a while when people spoonfeed, it really is about understanding. Cant learn without an understanding.

For the most part I don't spoon feed, but I will give the occasional push in the right direction, I've also posted a few how-to's. It's when you see(and we still do) the same question for the 20th time that pisses off the regulars.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Scamentology View Post
    There is a great talk on Ted.com about hiring the hackers I recommend you watch.
    Code:
    Web Page Blocked

Access to the web page you were trying to visit has been blocked in accordance with company policy. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is in error.

User: 10.238.66.216

URL: www.ted.com

Category: streaming-media
    I hate the firewall over here....
    Shoot me the full URL so I can work my way around their "awesome" security please?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    For the most part I don't spoon feed, but I will give the occasional push in the right direction, I've also posted a few how-to's.
    I think that is awesome, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by iproute View Post
    I've always felt, spoonfeed as you will. Most who are not truly interested in learning usually hit enough stumbling blocks to encourage them to quit due to difficulty. The individuals who have the drive to continue, be it with help or by power of their own to accomplish tasks and overcome troubles are the ones that we want in the community.
    Very well put....

Quote Originally Posted by scottm99 View Post
    Interesting discussion...I would like to chime in (and thankfully none of my threads were in the spoonfeed examples ) I think iproute is spot-on with his 12:49 AM post today. Now, let me state that nothing helps reinforce my knowledge better than helping someone else; whether the question is hard, easy, dumb, etc. It's very difficult to teach problem-solving skills, which is an absolute requirement when it comes to hacking, or info systems in general. But, if you can teach the beginners the basics well enough, the beginner will learn to problem-solve on his own.
    I'll agree on the teaching part, it definately reinforces your own knowledge. Couldn't agree more. I just think there is a fat line between the beginner questions for this forum and beginner questions that belong on other forums that some how appear on this forum...A lot... Agreed??

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4cks4b3r View Post
    I have to be honest I am new to this forum, and though I am not a total noobie by any means I am no where near some of the jargon that these guys speak. I am grateful once in a while when people spoonfeed, it really is about understanding. Cant learn without an understanding.
    Very well put, the only thing I would disagree with you on is that I don't believe people should spoonfeed on here. This is a place for "advanced" learning if you would. My thoughts of a backtrack beginner question would be "What would you recommend as to how I should set up this part or that part of my script?" -not- "Can you tell me how to use the WICD client?"

Thank you for all the feedback!!!! This is an awesome way to gain insight into thoughts other than my own. I really appreciate each and every post.
    V/r,
    Snafu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast