Thread: cryptsetup -- can't wipe header on device

Just burned his ISO

Default cryptsetup -- can't wipe header on device

(I dunno if this is the right forum or if it should go under Bugs)

I've been trying to install Backtrack on a HD and encrypt it...

When I run cryptsetup -y --cipher twofish-cbc-plain -h whirlpool --key-size 512 luksFormat /dev/sda2

i type YES and put my password in and it says "can't wipe header on device /dev/sda2"

I tried it with out any cipher specified (for default) and I did it along w/ the tutorial from the website using aes-xts-plain ...same error everytime

I also tried to do dd if=/dev/zero count=1024 of=/dev/sda2 and then encrypt and I received the same error

"Can't wipe header on device /dev/sda2"

Has anybody else been having this issue? Does anybody know a fix??

I don't have any issues w/ encryption otherwise..I am on an Arch install right now w/ the twofish-cbc-plain -h whirlpool as stated above...

Thank you for the helpp =)

Ps. Google did not turn up much help either...I seen a bug report for the same error but the device was ram0 or something and then I seen source code for cryptsetup

thanks again

Default Re: cryptsetup -- can't wipe header on device

What commands/guide are you trying? Here is a reported working tutorial (tested with Backtrack 5 R1)
    Bootable USB Thumb Drive with “Full” Disk Encryption ~ http://www.infosecramblings.com/back...sk-encryption/
    Have you...g0tmi1k?

Just burned his ISO

^ that is the one I tried then i googled and tried some stuff I found for ubuntu 10.04 and tried some other things i used w/ Arch linux and adapted to ubuntu

It's all good until I run cryptsetup -y --cipher aes-xts-plain --key-size 512 luksFormat /dev/sda2 (or any alg) and it says "can't wipe header on device)

I think i am going to try it again here shortly...

hmm..this is odd..it worked!!

I have a question though...

Isn't a device's header 1024 bytes?? I ran the command dd if=/dev/zero count=1024 of=/dev/sda2 and it would say "can't wipe header on device" error

This time, I ran dd if=/dev/zero count=2048 of=/dev/sda2 and zero'd 2048 bytes and it worked!!

I guess I was misinformed (or i misunderstood)..I thought the header of a device was only 512 or 1024 bytes (don't remember)...anyway, when i zero'd 2048 bytes, it worked

I appreciate the help and if anybody has any issues w/ the encryption saying "Can't Wipe Header on Device /dev/sdx" use the command:

dd if=/dev/zero count=2048 of=/dev/sdx

and then you can run the cryptsetup luksFormat etc. etc.

thanks again for the help and I intend on becoming more active on the forums...which brings another minor question not worthy of it's own thread...is there a certain point when my posts don't need to be approved by a mod?

thanks =)
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-13-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Merged

Default Re: cryptsetup -- can't wipe header on device

Glad to hear that you have it working. =)
    And yes. Once you have made a certain about of posts, the limit is removed.
    Have you...g0tmi1k?

Just burned his ISO

Ahh..another issue

It's funny because Ubuntu is supposed to be user friendly and work out of the box but Ubuntu has given me more issues than any other distro

I have it encrypted now, but, when I boot it, it gets stuck on the splash, I hit F8 and when I go to type the password, every letter creates a new line...

I know I've seen this bug before somewehre but I can't find the fix again...I am going to go look for it but, the bigger issue is that when I type the password, it says "..(something) bad options? password?" (i could be wrong about that but i know the one thing is bad options?)

I edited the /etc/crypttab files and the fstab just like that tutorial said to...the only think I changed from that tutorial was the algorithm (twofish-xts-plain -h whirlpool, and not aes-xts-plain) the filesystem (reiserfs, not ext4), and the install device (sda, not sdb...installing to HD and not a USB)

I might try it again after I reboot and get the exact error message and do some research....again thanks for any help in the past and future =)

Apologies for the double post but the error is unknown fstype...i'm guessing it is an issue w/ reiserfs...I am going to redo it w/ ext4 i suppose...let you know how ti goes

lol sorry for post number 2983479284

I can't edit my post though because of the restriction of mod approval...

anyway, I just tried to install it again w/ ext4 and got the same error

unknown fstype. bad options? I guess I am going to do and install and only encrypt /home i guess?? i can't really find any solutions otherwise...everything i find has to do w/ btrfs or reiser4, not common file systems like ext4 or reiserfs...
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-14-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Merged