I'm currently using an older (vista era) Gateway ML3109 with 2GB of ram.

At one point I was successfully dual-booting Windows 7 Ultimate and BT4-final.

I had overwritten my BT4 partition with Ubuntu for a project I was working on, and was hoping (when BT5 came out) to format the whole machine and just have BT5 running.

Currently I'm having issues loading into the live environment for BT4 OR BT5. The sequence locks up somewhere around:

[drm] Initialized radeon 2.9.0 20080528 for 0000:01:05.0 on minor 0

It occasionally locks up just before this, and sometimes it will go all the way to the Backtrack 5(or 4) background image where it would normally load into the text environment for me to startx, but it doesn't get that far. I'm not currently getting any errors, and I was successfully able to load up the BT3 live CD and install that to the hard drive. So I'm a little confused as to why this was once working and now it is not.

I have run a memtest on both sticks of ram and returned 0 errors. And I'm ASSUMING (bad idea, right?) that since I'm able to load up BT3 (or almost any other live cd) that it isn't the DVD-ROM drive either.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to get a more recent version of Backtrack running on this laptop.