Thread: upgrade bt2 packages: swaret?

Just burned his ISO

Default upgrade bt2 packages: swaret?

Hi there,

I was wondering, since bt2 is based on slackware, can I use swaret to upgrade/install my packages?

thanks!

Amarant

Quote Originally Posted by Amarant View Post
    Hi there,

I was wondering, since bt2 is based on slackware, can I use swaret to upgrade/install my packages?

thanks!

Amarant
    Maybe. You could always try it out and let us know.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I've used installpkg and updatepkg to upgrade some of the packages and I've had no problems whatsoever. Just remember though, just because BT2 is based on Slackware doesn't mean that it will necessary always work.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

personaly i use gslapt the gui by creator of slapt-get .... installed in bt2 default install

most of pkg works with none or little paths modification...........

we do need a pkg repository........dedicated to bt.......and i can code the gui........could be useful.........
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

I have used slapt-get on a few occasions myself without any problems.

@Amarant
    If you are successful in this, put here your swaret.conf config file

I have used slapt-get on a few occasions myself without any problems.
    I can say the same. A bt package depository would be nice, though. Of course, since most of the additional packages that make BT so great were built from source, the included slackware depository is probably sufficient.

I run slack on my laptop. I used slapt-get to upgrade to current from 11.0 shortly after installing it. I also have slack on an older desktop. I've only installed security upgrades to 11.0 on it. I recently added current to slapt-getrc and was going to upgrade. The list was so long it was scary. You just know something is going to break. I'll probably try it when I've got some time, but I'll be ready to do a clean install. Sometimes, what you think might be an easier way (upgrade) ends up being more problem than it's worth. As quick as either slack or bt are to install, I think a clean install might actually be faster, in some cases. Security patches are another story, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ghaze View Post
    I used slapt-get to upgrade to current from 11.0 shortly after installing it. I also have slack on an older desktop. I've only installed security upgrades to 11.0 on it. I recently added current to slapt-getrc and was going to upgrade. The list was so long it was scary. You just know something is going to break.
    When you upgrade slackware from 11.0 to current you should be carefull (read CHANGES_AND_HITS.TXT), because they change toolchain and many more. You right, is it easier to use clean install, but what can be usefull in your way of getting to know your os

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hanys View Post
    @Amarant
    If you are successful in this, put here your swaret.conf config file
    Sure I will... anyway, since I "just burned my ISO" the worst that can happen to me is reinstalling everything