Thread: Forensics boot mode

Just burned his ISO

Default Forensics boot mode

Hi,

I am booting BT5R3-GNOME-32 in ofrensics mode to avoid automount drives asn swap partitions.
    After booting the operating system (run level 2), the USB driver are not automounted, however after executing startx command, when a USB driver is plugged is automatically mounted.

I have seen in the /root/.profile script the following a specific "if" clause to execute when the hostname is equal to "bt5-forensics". In this if-clause is set up thinks like "/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount --type bool false 2> /dev/null", however I think there are not executed as the current hostname is "bt".

So my understanding is if you want to have disabled automount option in the X-window, it is required to change the hostname previous to execute "startx" command. Is that right? Is there are document where I could find extra info about this issue?

Thanks,
    Jose

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Forensics boot mode

Hi,

I have found a way to disable automount in X-system:

Boot BT by using forensics mode
    Execute "hostname bt5-forensics; exit" as root
    As the system is setup to perform auto-login, after executing the exit command, the system will perform automatically a log in using the root user executing the /root/.profile script and in this case the if-clause for the forensics mode is executed (as it can showed in the console).
    Finally when execute startx command to work with X-system, the USB driver are no automounted.

Is this the "normal" way to do it?
    Thanks,
    Jose

Quote Originally Posted by korba View Post
    Hi,

I am booting BT5R3-GNOME-32 in ofrensics mode to avoid automount drives asn swap partitions.
    After booting the operating system (run level 2), the USB driver are not automounted, however after executing startx command, when a USB driver is plugged is automatically mounted.

I have seen in the /root/.profile script the following a specific "if" clause to execute when the hostname is equal to "bt5-forensics". In this if-clause is set up thinks like "/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount --type bool false 2> /dev/null", however I think there are not executed as the current hostname is "bt".

So my understanding is if you want to have disabled automount option in the X-window, it is required to change the hostname previous to execute "startx" command. Is that right? Is there are document where I could find extra info about this issue?

Thanks,
    Jose