Thread: Backtrack 5 and loadlin or lind

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 5 and loadlin or lind

Hi everyone, I have always used loadlin to boot my backtrack live distribs from usb but I hadn't updated it since BT3.
    I am trying to update it to BT5 but I'm having some trouble and my searches on the internet haven't been successful.
    Does anyone know if it is possible?

I had to switch from loadlin to linld because loadlin apparently couldn't handle the new larger kernel and initrd of BT5.

so this is my command to start linld :

linld image=vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz vga=791 cl=@config1

and my config1 file :

root=/dev/ram0
    rw
    load_ramdisk=1
    prompt_ramdisk=0
    ramdisk_size=35500

I basically updated the config file which worked for previous BT distributions, I unpacked the initrd file and updated the ramdisk_size accordingly.
    In the previous config file a command "init=linuxrc" pointed to a script at the root of the initrd.gz package, a script which is no longer present in the new package, does anyone know to which script it should point on BT5?

For now the boot up starts but is unsuccessful, I get the splash screen and about ten seconds of commands racing on the screen but it fails with an infinite loop of "can't open /dev/sr0 no medium found" after saying mounting root filesystem and loading scripts /casper/init-premount

Thank you very much for your help

(btw I am not under the impression that this is the only option to multi boot from usb, I know other methods such as syslinux or grub would be easier to implement at this point but since all the thumb drive and the menus are written and configured in dos I would prefer to keep it that way if it is possible)

Default Re: Backtrack 5 and loadlin or lind

Our Wiki contains official guides on how to install Backtrack 5 on a USB, give those a try.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

for people trying to learn how stuff works its probably best not to follow step-by-step ready made tutorials without understanding them or using 1-click software.
    For anyone having a similar issue :

Forget loadlin for BT5, the kernel is too big.
    Use linld, very similar.
    my command is
    "linld image=..\vmlinuz initrd=..\initrd.gz vga=791 cl=@config" (because my linld file is in a folder inside the casper folder)

and my "config" file (same folder as linld) :

boot=casper
    file=/cdrom/BT5/preseed/custom.seed
    splash
    text

this way you can : boot your usb on dos (provided it was setup correctly), start BT5 from dos, have all your BT5 files (the extracted ISO) in a BT5 folder at root (this way they are not lying around at root making things messy) BUT the casper folder needs to be placed at root, to have it in the BT5 folder you need to modify the pointers in the initrd file and I don't think its really worth it.

btw thx for ur answer, I understand many people post here basically just wanting something that works but I really wanted to make this work my way (not covered in the wiki)
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-01-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Merged