Thread: Issue in BT5 with Dlink DWA 160 A1 USB Driver Error

Just burned his ISO

Default Issue in BT5 with Dlink DWA 160 A1 USB Driver Error

Sup guys. Hope this thread is formatted correctly for some help, believe me I have spent days searching Google and trying to figure this out but it seems to be over my head at this point. So to get right to it, I downloaded the BT5 .vmx file straight off of the Downloads page (BT5R1-GNOME-VM-32) so it's the GNOME version. I have it installed and running flawlessly in VMWare and everything runs fine, except ONE small, important detail. My D-Link DWA 160 A1 card (AR9170 Chipset) pops up an error everytime I try to connect it to VMWare saying "The connection to the usb device Dlink DWA 160 was unsuccessful. Driver error"

I wasn't really sure what to do at this point, I was pretty sure that Backtrack 4 RT2 had the drivers needed to make it work right out of the box, so I assumed Backtrack 5 would as well. I tried downloading BT4 RT2 and still got the same error

I have tried searching Google with every term I can think of and no matter what I try searching on here I have always gotten no search results returned, every single time, so I can't link to any other cases where this has happened. Any results I do find on Google seem to pertain to the version A2 of the card and I have A1. There are no basic output of commands for me to post up because I have not even entered any yet since I can't even get the card to connect, and I have attempted no solutions because I have no idea where to start

Anyone know what my problem is? Do I need to update the kernel or the firmware to something different? If so, anyone know where I could read a guide or something on doing that? I feel like a complete idiot having to ask all of this, I know how frustrating dealing with noobs is, and I HATE having to be one, so your help and patience is seriously greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Default Re: Issue in BT5 with Dlink DWA 160 A1 USB Driver Error

Try booting of a live media and check the card, this seems to be a VMware related error.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Agreed, uninstalled the VMWare 7.1 I was using and tried VMWare 8 out. Everything worked flawlessly. At first the card still wasn't working out of the box on Backtrack 5, so I had to install the ar9170.fw into /lib/firmware, then I had to blacklist the default carl9170 to make the interface show up with airmon-ng.

Everything seemed to be working fine up until it was time to get the packets needed to crack my WEP key. I continue getting the infamous:

Sending Authentication Request (Open System)

Until it tells me it won't work. I've tried every solution I can think of to try to fix it, I know I'm close enough to the AP as well, and I tried changing my MAC and disabling MAC filtering at all. Still won't work :[ Any ideas?

Try checking in with the guys at aircrack-ng they might be able to help you with this.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !