Thread: Acer Aspire 1551 Broadcom BCM43225 wireless doesn't work

Just burned his ISO

Default Acer Aspire 1551 Broadcom BCM43225 wireless doesn't work

I've spent around 10 hours trying to get this to work, following many tut's and none have worked. This card worked fine in Ubuntu 10.10 after activating the STA drivers, however when doing that on BT it gets an error and can't activate. I'm going to give you the information that should be useful and a rundown of the tuts I've tried. Please Help.

lspci = 06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

for some reason when I try to do an rfkill list it say can't open the rfkill command device no such file or directory. However before it had wlan0 unblocked and then about 3 hours ago the last time I tried it wlan0 wasn't listed at all.

also in the /etc/network/interfaces folder I get this
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

lshw:
    *-network UNCLAIMED ***This used to say Disabled***
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:d0300000-d0303fff
    lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4 = 06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4357] (rev 01)

When trying to install the STA drivers: info
    dpkg-reconfigure bcmwl-kernel-source =
    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: bcmwl-kernel-source is broken or not fully installed

when i do dpkg-r it can remove it, and I also did
    rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.{postinst,prerm,postrm}
    apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

then i open synaptic and check for bcmwl-kernel and try to reinstall it along with the modaliases and get this
    E: bcmwl-kernel-source: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10 -->this is a popup box that I get, I also get this when looking at the details
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.39.4 (x86_64)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/5.60.48.36+bdcom/build/ for more information.
    dpkg: error processing bcmwl-kernel-source (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    bcmwl-kernel-source
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have also tried using the B43-fwcutter
    I followed ubuntu's tut on installing that and it didn't work

I tried building the sta drivers after downloading them from broadcom but the Make gets an error, Im guessing it has something to do with the packages broadcom wants me to download that I cant which is the build-essential linux-headers-generic and the build-dep linux

The error says something about adding repositories however I have no idea which ones because it doesn't tell me.

I have also tried installing the brcm80211 drivers following a tutorial on the Ubuntu Forums however git.kernel.org is down which eliminates this as a possibility for right now, unless there are mirrors I am unaware of.

I have also tried using the compat-wireless
    I followed the tutorials found on the Backtrack Wiki, However this did not work either

Finally the last thing that I tried to do was to Blacklist acer-wmi in the blacklist.conf file and of course this did nothing either.

I would greatly appreciate some help, and if you need any more information please let me know and I will get the information asap. I'll also mention that I tried out Ubuntu 11.04 and the wireless could find wireless networks after activating the sta drivers but could not connect. I decided not to bother with Ubuntu because I did not like how 11.04 looks or feels when I tried it out.

Well after putting some more hours today into getting wifi to work and failing I decided to try out some different versions of BT.
    First I tried 32bit BT5R1 Gnome and had the same problems as the 64 bit,
    However next I tried 32bit Gnome BT5, I ran through lshw, lspci, and rfkill, so instead of trying the difficult tutorials first I tried
    rfkill unblock wifi
    and now the wifi works, however when I try to put it into monitor mode the computer freezes but that is a different forum.

I am scared to upgrade to the 2.6.39.4 kernel however because I'm thinking it will screw up my wireless again. Because the 2.6.39.4 kernel does not come with brcm80211 driver which is what I am using now without problems.
    So I'm assuming an upgrade will ditch this driver for whatever that kernel has. If this is correct can anyone help me out with upgrading and not ruining the wifi, and if I am assuming wrong please let me know so that I can upgrade to the newest kernel

Default Re: Acer Aspire 1551 Broadcom BCM43225 wireless doesn't work

Hi,

You're right that an upgrade to 39.4 will probably cause problems; the brcm80211 module is not available. See this entry in the BugTracker: Backtrack 5 - Feature #201: Add brcmsmac/brcmfmac modules to kernel - Redmine

Just burned his ISO

Awesome, Thank you for the link. Got Aircrack to work as well lately, the only time it freezes now is when I use airmon to start and stop monitor mode, but that's not a big deal because Packet Injection actually works, and I don't mind a quick reboot in between trying out different AP's.

Just burned his ISO

Can u please write the fix for those who r using bt5 r1
    Thanks in advance

Just burned his ISO

Ye im using bt r1 and got also the broadcom 43225 and it also doesnt work.
    Could the driver be pre-installed in BT R2??? Cuz now i have to use windows.... :@