Thread: access bt4 running in virtualbox via vnc

Just burned his ISO

Default access bt4 running in virtualbox via vnc

Hi I need help setting up so I can access remotely from outside the network. I need it to be passworded and I'll be accessing from preferably windows please can someone show me the steps?

Default Re: access bt4 running in virtualbox via vnc

First:
    Why remote when you can boot with Live DVD?

Second:
    Make sure the VirtualBox network card is on NAT.
    In the settings of the BackTrack Virtual Machine. Under Display, Select the Remote Display tab.
    Configure as desired.
    Forward ports on routers/firewalls on your network to allow outside connections.

Last edited by Lincoln; 01-15-2010 at 01:55 AM.

In VirtualBox select the BackTrack VM and set the network adapter in bridged.

Start your BackTrack guest in VB and at a root prompt type:

Code:
    passwd                                      # set a password
    dhclient                                      # get a IP via DHCP  make a note of this IP for portforwarding
    sshd-generate                            # generate your ssh keys
    /etc/init.d/ssh start                     # start the sshd dameon
    apt-get install x11vnc                  # install the vnc server
    startx & x11vnc -safer -localhost  # start X and the vncserver
    You then want to set up port forwarding on your router to point to the IP address given by the output of the 'dhclient' command the connection should to from port 22 to port 22 with no trigger.

From your virtual box host go to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address make a note of your external ip.

From your external computer you will need a vnc client and putty. Download these:
    Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control
    PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client

Follow this guide to set up port forwarding. You want both source and destination port to be 5900.
    Using port forwarding with PuTTY

Use putty to connect to your external IP. Login with the username 'root' and the password you set above.
    Start ultravnc and connect to localhost.

I hope this helps.
    Mathematical reasoning may be regarded rather schematically as the exercise of a combination of two facilities, which we may call intuition and ingenuity.

Just burned his ISO

AFAIK Backtrack has a built-in VNC server, also try SSHd which would be useful.

You have a few issues to resolve, including configuring your router for allowing external access (may need to configure port-forwarding); also you will need to learn how to configure VNC server and any other daemons you wish to run on the Backtrack box (eg SSH, HTTP server, that kinda thing). Your firewall (if used) may also need configuring so bear that in mind.

You mentioned VirtualBox - make sure you have set up your network interface correctly so that the Backtrack VM has access to the internet. I'm not familiar with VirtualBox but have much experience with VMWare, so I'm only guessing here, but you might run into issues with host/VM access to the network interface. You may wish to experiment with dedicated interfaces for host and VM, or alternatively try sharing via NAT..

As I mentioned, SSH would be useful depending on how you want to use the Backtrack machine. VNC is acceptable but may be slow depending on your home/external internet speed. SSH would be great for sending commands etc. I used SSH to control my home Backtrack virtual machine while I was abroad in France, as the internet was far too slow (VNC requires good bandwitdth).

Just burned his ISO

thank you thank you thank you! ive managed to figure it out for myself although it would have been easier had i thought to check back here! mouse is a bit slow using rdp but it works!