Thread: Obtaining Wireless Handshakes (WPA) Within Certain Proximity

Just burned his ISO

Default Obtaining Wireless Handshakes (WPA) Within Certain Proximity

Is it possible to obtain WPA handshakes without specifying the BSSID. For example a simple script which searchs for near wireless networks, obtains the details such as the ESSID and continues to scan each of these networks for a WPA Handshake. I'm looking to create this script to just run in the background of Backtrack whilst doing other stuff? Just seems like it could be useful as the only point you can attack a WPA network is when someone authorises. Would this idea work?

Developer

Default Re: Obtaining Wireless Handshakes (WPA) Within Certain Proximity

Just running airodump or kismet you will get a handshake when someone connects so your question is not really clear. If you are asking how to speed up the issue then I would have to inform you that deauthing networks which are not your is pretty lame and is probably in someway not legal.

Just burned his ISO

It definitely is not legal! You are intruding into someones network and therefore are gaining or attempting to without prior permission. I was under the impression for Airodump to obtain the Handshake a BSSID would have to be provided when writing out to the CAP file. What I was interested was in making it an automated process, i.e. the script continuously searches for new networks, as well as this it searches for handshakes within a certain proximity (this would obviously be done by setting a limit on the power received), when it finds a handshake it writes a new CAP file with the relevant details.

The reason being I have multiple networks at home and uni and was curious as to whether I could set backtrack to automatically detect the handshake. Because I would intend for the script to be running in the background, deauthing a client therefore would not be important.

But you would have to lock airodump onto the channel # and define the BSSID you want to get the handshake to begin with.

Just burned his ISO

Well you could start up more than one "mon" with airmon to lock to different channels using airodump, or maybe specify more than one BSSID. Ofcourse you could write what you want but it would be longer than a script. But i see no use in that when everything is right there in front of you. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with pureh@te about this being legal? Cause by the sounds of it, your breaking the law! XD

Seems to me that you just want to capture handshakes to crack them... why else would this be necessary?

Put your passkey into a word list, crack it. Then you have shown the vulnerability of WPA

No need to go and start capturing your whole neighborhoods handshakes.