Thread: A little help here.

Just burned his ISO

Smile A little help here.

Hello guys. I'm a complete newbie to backtrack. and I'm now posted in BackTrack 5 Beginners Section, and hope to get some expert suggestion.
    Here's the problem. I typed airmon-ng, and no response.
    Looking forward for expert's suggestions.
    completerookie.JPGcompleterookie.JPG

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: A little help here.

seams like your drivers aren't loaded into memory. What is your wifi card?

try doing a lsmod and lsusb (or lspci depentind if u use a usb or regular wifi adapter)

Just burned his ISO

dude type me plain English please. It seems to be so complicated. woots. yea im using a regular wifi adapter. what's with the lsmod and lsusb? Mind explain? thanks ya.

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticO View Post
    dude type me plain English please. It seems to be so complicated. woots. yea im using a regular wifi adapter. what's with the lsmod and lsusb? Mind explain? thanks ya.
    You should probably get a little more comfortable with linux before you try backtrack. Maybe try ubuntu for a while as it is the distro that backtrack is built off of. He is telling you to type "lsmod" and "lsusb" in a shell and look at the output. You should google those commands to learn more about what they are and how they work.

Just burned his ISO

Dudeman02379 is right you may want to start off just a touch slower like with Ubuntu, by telling taxyst to speak plain english when he is speaking plain english probably won't get you much help, there are tons of how to's for that program that can be found with google search that will explain how to set up your drivers.

Just burned his ISO

hey i had the same problem w/ a internal card on my other laptop.... try airmon-zc instead of -ng its still in dev i think but it picked up my internal card only thing is it didnt support packet injection due to the card not being able to.... hope this helps

Or you can try making sure you card is supported by backtrack. Check the Wiki's and hardware compatibility list to make sure. And if youre in vmware, make sure you use a usb card. Also, what does 'iwconfig' return? if it shows your wifi card run airmon-ng start [card] anyway.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticO View Post
    khm... pardon the "un-plain" English then and allow me to explain

since we don't have access to your computer it would help us to know a little bit about your system, the commands I suggested are used just for that:

- lsmod - list all loaded modules (drivers)
    - lspci - list all PCI devices

you open a terminal and type the following

Code:
    root@bt:~# lspci
    root@bt:~# lsmod
    then you copy/paste the output in this thread so we can see what the problem is, also you may want to try:

Code:
    root@bt:~# iwconfig 
    root@bt:~# iwconfig wlan0 up
    if the second command doesn't report anything then you probably solved your problem and try running arimon again, if it does ... paste the output of both commands here so we can all see

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter632 View Post
    Dudeman02379 is right you may want to start off just a touch slower like with Ubuntu, by telling taxyst to speak plain english when he is speaking plain english probably won't get you much help, there are tons of how to's for that program that can be found with google search that will explain how to set up your drivers.
    i really do not understand recommendations like these. ubuntu is ubuntu. if learning basic linux is over your head, it's going to be that way on backtrack or on ubuntu. it's a close enough to identical distro for the most part, in reference to basic linux (with only tiny core learning differences and some specialized drivers and desired hardware). you just do not have all the additional tools thrown at you all at once ,which come with a b|t install; to possibly distract you even further from learning the basics. the basics remain the same on either.

you can learn ubuntu just as neatly on bt as on ubuntu,kubuntu, etc now. it's very minor differences in the learning curve, only in terms of the operating system, kernel, and similar subjects. why send anyone back to an ubuntu release, just to do alot of work...knowing full well they will probably never figure out even penetration testing fundamentals? it is a waste of your and their time. let them dive in the deep end of the pool and figure out they don't know how to swim.