Thread: Best Backtrack apps or cracking apps

Default Best Backtrack apps or cracking apps

Hello every one,

I'm trying to find apps to use during cracking attacks on wireless networks.

So far i used aircrack-ng and pyrit. I also heard that Cowpatty, Kismet are goods.
    I also found out that nmap is a good app for gathering information during an attack.

Im not hopping to master how to manage an "Network attacks Arsenal", just want to know more about Backtrack, because i just found out recently how to play around with pyrit and aircrack and its cool when you learn how to use a tool.

So what im asking is if the ppl here in the forum could tell me the apps they prefer work with, like "I prefer pyrit" or "I prefer aircrack-ng, but cowpatty is good also"

Hope it could help also others who want to learn more about BT5 and Wifi penetest tools.

Thanks a lot

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Best Backtrack apps or cracking apps

I think you've partially answered your own question, but I'll add my 2 cents worth The "best" application is pretty depends on your level of skill & preference. For wireless work, I use Kismet for general recon, and use the aircrack suite for detail stuff. I use nmap a lot; it's very versatile & powerful, no matter the network. In terms of password cracking (against hashed passwords), I use rainbow tables.

If you're really wanting to get some wireless pen-test knowledge, I'd take the course offered at Offensive Security.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...