Thread: How do i get bridged networking to work in vmware

Hybrid View

Angry How do i get bridged networking to work in vmware

Hi guys. I'm using win7 x64 host bt5r1 in vmware. vmware setting are 4gig ram, quad core processor. I used to get by with a NAT'ed network and everything was fine. But then I realized that this would not allow me to run programs like armitage or metasploit or ettercap or....... the list goes on... So I switched to a bridged network adapter. At first, everything was great. Meaning the network I had currently connected was shown, and an IP was given. Then when I switched networks, and rebooted my vmware bt5, the new network never came up, and I had no IP. So I tried to replicate the physical network connectivity state. Nothing doing, didn't help. I tried ifup eth0, start networking, and various other commands, nothing helped. In the NAT, everything still works, but when I go to bridged, nothing works; not even my ftp server between win7 and bt5. Please let me know if either my settings for vmware are bad or I'm doing something wrong inside BT5, but help me get my networking up. I kind need it. Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How do i get bridged networking to work in vmware

That is a lot of info but it sounds a little confusing. What do you mean you switched networks? Physical networks? or switched to bridged networking in vmware? what do you mean by you tried to replicate the physical network connectivity state?

Couple of stupid low level things. When you switched to bridged are you on a network that has a dhcp server? Did you try "/etc/init.d/networking restart"?

Check your settings in VMWare. Try "Custom: specific virtual network" VMnet0 (auto-bridging). Click "Edit virtual machine settings" and then click the "Options" tab. Scroll down and click on "Guest Isolation" and make sure the "Enable VMCI" box is checked.
    Last edited by hypervista; 09-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacR6 View Post
    That is a lot of info but it sounds a little confusing. What do you mean you switched networks? Physical networks? or switched to bridged networking in vmware? what do you mean by you tried to replicate the physical network connectivity state?

Couple of stupid low level things. When you switched to bridged are you on a network that has a dhcp server? Did you try "/etc/init.d/networking restart"?
    by switched networks, I mean I moved my computer from the wifi network to a different buildings ethernet network. replicating the phisical etwork is one of the options in vmware.
    and yes to both of the second things.

Quote Originally Posted by hypervista View Post
    Check your settings in VMWare. Try "Custom: specific virtual network" VMnet0 (auto-bridging). Click "Edit virtual machine settings" and then click the "Options" tab. Scroll down and click on "Guest Isolation" and make sure the "Enable VMCI" box is checked.
    tried all these and nothing worked. I'm using vmware 8 if that makes a difference.

I FIXED IT!! So what I did was, I went to the network settings in VMWare. Edit > Virtual Network Editor, then set the bridged option to Automatic, then set the Automatic Settings to search for all network adapters. Sorry for all the fuss over a dumb mistake. Thanks for all the help.