Thread: Unable to load BT5 GUI

Just burned his ISO

Default Unable to load BT5 GUI

Thread Title: Unable to load BT5 GUI

Problem:
    I am new to BackTrack and am simply trying to load into the BT5 GUI from a dvd. I downloaded the 64-bit BT5 R1 KDE ISO and checked the hash MD5, which checked out fine. I then burned the ISO to a dvd using roxio creater on slow burn speed for accuracy. I can successfully boot into the disc, the first screen simply says "Boot:", where I press enter to start the boot process. The next screen asks which variant of backtrack to start (text, stealth, etc). I have tested text, stealth, and safe mode and all of them end with a screen with a black background and white text saying what is being loaded. Here is the error:

Error Message
    ---[end trace d8fb19e5bc4adc20]---
    [drm: radeon_ttm_backend_bind] *ERROR* failed to bind 2025 pages at 0x00000000
    radeon 0000:02:00.0: object_init failed for (8294400, 0x00000002)
    [drm: radeon_gem_object_create] *ERROR* Failed to allocate GEM object (8294400, 2, 4096, -22)
    Failed to allocate:
    size: 8294400
    allignment: 0 bytes
    domains: 2

How I have tried to resolve the issue:

I have also tried using 64-bit BT5 (non-R1) KDE ISO, in addition to the 64-bit BT5 (non-R1) GNOME ISO; both MD5's were good and burned to a dvd. After having similar issues across the board, I thought maybe it was an issue with a hardware incompatibility. I unplugged all peripherals from the laptop (external mouse/keyboard/monitors/headset/usb hub/ethernet), and still experienced the same issue. I did some more searching online and found that other people will also having issues with the radeon series of graphics cards, and found this as a potential solution:

Press tab on 'text' on the BT5 selection screen.
    Change
    Code:
    /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz text splash vga=791--
    to
    Code:
    /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz text splash vga=791 radeon.modeset=0
    ->enter

Once I added "radeon.modeset=0" the GUI would start to initialize. I would see the red BT5 background and the mouse cursor would be visible/functional. In the center of the screen was foreign characters (Chinese/Japanese/IDK), and nothing else would load. After approximately 20-30seconds the screen would go blank and hang for minutes until I turned off the computer.

System Specs (Dell Studio XPS 1645):
    64-bit Windows 7 SP1
    8GB RAM
    Intel i7 Q820 1.73 GHz (3.06 w/ turbo boost)
    AMD Radeon HD 5700M
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN Wireless

Please let me know if there is anymore information I can provide and I am looking forward to any help I can get. Thanks ahead of time and I can't wait to get this working. BT5 looks like some amazing software!

Default Re: Unable to load BT5 GUI

i absolutely understand the reason why some pentesters often will vehemently choose using a closed disk cd-r or dvd-r for a 'live distro". nothing additional is writable to the booted media.
    it is a sort of "clean room" thought process. and it makes absolute sense for such users to go that route.

you,however; should payload the bootable os onto a persistent or non persistent usb pendrive and call it a day. imho. burned discs are subject to scratches in the physical surface, burner/ram under-runs, defective media, etc. Any failed delivery to a pendrive is a non-cost issue. you just redeliver the image to the pendrive like nothing ever happened. make the pendrive bootable in BIOS and you are off to the races.