Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT2 dualboot with Windows Vista...Oops?

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2 dualboot with Windows Vista...Oops?

Ok, well, I recently bought an emachine from wal-mart (...first mistake? lol) and then I found out about BT...which is awesome. So I got the disk, and ran it, learning all kinds of things. Well, yesterday I decided to actually install BT2 on the drive. So here's the layout....

1 120GB HD
    It came with two partitions.
    /dev/sda1 (otherwise known as Drive D) which is 8.37GB. It's the Recovery partition.
    /dev/sda2 (otherwise known as Drive C) which is 95.29GB. It's the main partition.

I followed along with the "Dualboot windows and Backtrack" video, but when he got to the "create 3 partitions, 1 for swap, 1 for kernel, and 1 for boot (i think...lol)" I couldn't create more than 2 partitions. It only allowed 4 total. So I made a swap partition (/dev/sda3) and a boot partition (/dev/sda4 reiserfs). Skipping ahead...lol

I used the Lilo bootloader. Configured it to load windows (/dev/sda2 non-recovery) and the boot partition of BT (/dev/sda4). Then I loaded it to the MBR. Rebooted, had the option to load windows or backtrack. Tried backtrack, it loads fine. Rebooted, Tried windows....not so fine. I get the "*copyright*Microsoft Corporation" with the loading bar. It stays on that for about 5 minutes and then the screen goes black.

That's as dualbooting as I've managed to get. Not the greatest progress.

I tried a couple different things to attempt to "fix" this.

I went back into BT2 and edited the lilo.conf to select /dev/sda1 (recovery drive) to see if maybe that would work. Reloaded it with lilo, rebooted, same problem.

I made a pathetic attempt at installing GRUB via flashdrive, hoping that would fix the problem...I couldn't even get it to compile lol Then I tried connecting to the net with BT2. On my laptop it was easy, I created a wpa_supplicant and all that jazz, simple. On the desktop though, BT2 doesn't like my linksys pci adaptor, so I figured "I'll just do ics on my laptop. That way I can update all my BT2 stuff, and I'm sure to find a fix then (The optimist). That definitly didn't work. When I turned on ics, my wireless stopped working. So I gave that up. I finally decided that I would just use my Vista recovery disc and fix the mbr and find some other way to dualboot into BT2.

So began the hunt for the Recovery disk. The only thing that turned up was "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Bit Operating System Disc". eh, sounds close enough, plus it was the only disc that came with vista (excluding the "upgrade anytime" disc). Stick it in the drive, reboot, boot from CD. "Loading Windows". Progress ^_^ 0%-100% (Very excited!!!! (>'-')> <('-'<) ^('-')^ v('-')v <('-'<) ^( )^ (>'-')> ^(^-^)> ) *sorry* lol. And then *Black Screen*. Half an hour later, I gave up.

So that's where I'm at now. I can load BT2 just fine, can't load vista.

Here's my specs (what I can remember)
    Emachine W3619
    Windows Vista Home Basic
    Intel Celeron D Processor 360 (3.46GHz)
    120GB SATA II Hard Drive
    A-Data Dual Channel 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
    Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter Model WMP54G

I think that's everything that would help with you helping me lol.
    Please, I would love any help you all can give me.
    Oh, if it comes up...yes I know how to use google and the "search" function of the forums....just nothing seemed to help me.

Anyway, Thanks!
    J

Developer

since you have that extra recovery partition If it was me i would have used the default installer and dumpet all of bt on one partition. futhermore you should post your lilo file if you want us to tell you if its acurate. your primeary problem is that you bought a MACHINE WITH VISTA IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

BT is a live distro....designed to be live....

WHY do people still want to install it real....

my BT live install is multipartition one with bt partition, swap partition, changes partition(ext2), data partition(fat32) on a dedicated 160 GB usb HD
    and my changes are saved auto

SO why should we still need to install it as a "real os" ? no benefit(just a little less ressource....little...little benefit for all pbs i saw here from so many users)

just my 2 cents
    BT IS LIVE, LET IT LIVE...
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    BT is a live distro....designed to be live....

WHY do people still want to install it real....

SO why should we still need to install it as a "real os" ? no benefit(just a little less ressource....little...little benefit for all pbs i saw here from so many users)
    Probably the same reason I have it as my main OS.

If I want to learn how to use Linux and BT2...ESPECIALLY BT2..I have to live, breathe, and eat BT2 and Linux 24/7. And any problems that occur, I teach myself how to fix them. Learning Linux was not easy for me Niko. I had NO EXPERIENCE except M$ Windows and DOS..since I was like 12. Now I'm 31 (B-day was last week) and I've only been using Linux since my very first post here on this forum 3 months ago. I've come a long way...but I still have much to learn and many debts to pay back to this wonderful, friendly community I like to call remote -=Xploitz=- home. Thats why its my only OS on my laptop. So I can continue to learn, and continue to grow.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

yes true..........but my live turn 24H/24H i got a tri boot now BSD/ubuntu 7.1/xp tweeked install by myself/ .... for general using.....BUT my bt still live....it's too easy to reinstall it just have to format the /changes partition....

and because your base system is expanded from lzm modules at boot time you always get a clean system.....all that can cause pbs, is in the changes partition....really useful for managing.....you just do a simple live usb install(with some changes in procedures see my tutor), you do it one time for LIFE........or almost...that's why i still think my config live on a multipartitioned ext hd is the best way to use BT....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

ok, here's my lilo.conf hope it helps:

# LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    boot = /dev/sda
    #compact #faster, but won't work on all systems.
    prompt
    timeout = 50
    # Normal VGA console
    vga = normal
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x64k
    # vga=791
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x32k
    # vga=790
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x256
    # vga=773
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
    # vga=788
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
    # vga=787
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
    # vga=771
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
    # vga=785
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
    # vga=784
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
    # vga=769
    # ramdisk = 0 # paranoia seething
    # End LILO global section
    # Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda2
    label = Vista
    table = /dev/sda
    # Windows bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Backtrack
    read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for ch$
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

I think I got out all the typos. I typed that up, btw, couldn't copy and paste it from nano on pc to laptop screen lol. Though yes in retrospect I do realize that I could have just written that to my jumpdrive... oh well.

Developer

so when you excecute lilo (i.e. with lilo -v ) does it say vista added / linux added or do you get a error

Quote Originally Posted by jausey12 View Post
    ok, here's my lilo.conf hope it helps:

# LILO configuration file
    # generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    boot = /dev/sda
    #compact #faster, but won't work on all systems.
    prompt
    timeout = 50
    # Normal VGA console
    vga = normal
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x64k
    # vga=791
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x32k
    # vga=790
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 1024X768x256
    # vga=773
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
    # vga=788
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
    # vga=787
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
    # vga=771
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
    # vga=785
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
    # vga=784
    # Vesa framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
    # vga=769
    # ramdisk = 0 # paranoia seething
    # End LILO global section
    other = /dev/sda2
    label = Vista
    table = /dev/sda
    image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Backtrack
    read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for ch$

I think I got out all the typos. I typed that up, btw, couldn't copy and paste it from nano on pc to laptop screen lol. Though yes in retrospect I do realize that I could have just written that to my jumpdrive... oh well.
    Change this to...

boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 50
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791

image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda4
    label = Backtrack
    read-only

other = /dev/sda1
    label = Vista
    table = /dev/sda

Should work.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Ok, I redid my lilo.conf to see if that would help.
    The only thing I ever remotely get to an error when doing lilo -v is this:

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
    Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
    Using MENU secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /vmlinuz
    Added Backtrack *

Boot other: /dev/sda1, on /dev/sda, loader CHAIN
    Added Vista

Writing boot sector.
    /boot/boot.0800 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.

Again, Backtrack loads fine. Vista hangs at loading screen, then goes black.
    Any other options?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by jausey12 View Post
    Ok, I redid my lilo.conf to see if that would help.
    The only thing I ever remotely get to an error when doing lilo -v is this:

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
    Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
    Using MENU secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /vmlinuz
    Added Backtrack *

Boot other: /dev/sda1, on /dev/sda, loader CHAIN
    Added Vista

Writing boot sector.
    /boot/boot.0800 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.

Again, Backtrack loads fine. Vista hangs at loading screen, then goes black.
    Any other options?
    then its not a backtrack/lilo problem. the only thing I can sugest is there is a free bootloader out there for vista(iforgot what its called ) if you install it in vista it will over ride lilo. in order to work though you would have to start over which I would recomend any way. will vista let you boot in safe mode?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast