Thread: Booting bt5 from sdcard

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting bt5 from sdcard

First of all, I would like to apologize for my poor English, is my least spoken language .

My laptop has very small ssd installed, too small to put bt5 + windows on comfortably, so I want to install bt5 to an sd card for easy transportation (sits inside laptop). I am not linux expert, but I think if I install bt5 to sd card and put grub on ssd, I can have grub point to sd card to boot bt5? Will this work, can I do this? I am okay with keeping bt5 as a live system instead of installed system, in fact I would prefer it this way, running it in ram and sd card as read only.

If I can do this, what would process be? Copy bt5 files from dvd to sd card, then install grub and point it to sd card? Or would I boot bt5, then use install process to install to sd card?

Thank you for all the help, once again, apologies for my English.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Booting bt5 from sdcard

In fact you can, in fact I did that, I'm too cheap to burn a cd so I load it on a micro SD card and install from there.
    You need to download the ISO, you can choose between 64 and 32, check the checksum then you need to move the ISO to the card, but you need this YUMI
    It will create the grub and install your backtrack, note this version supports BT5 and BT5 R both 64 and 32.

Windows Version.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/

Just burned his ISO

Hi tony, thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I do not know if this solution will work well. Reading yumi webpage, it looks like yumi install grub to usb device. I need to install grub to my ssd, my laptop can not boot from sd card, I already try this and failed.

Why not just copy it to the sd card using Livelinux usb creator or unetbootin and then just boot from the sd card in the bios? i did that on my laptop before i got vmware.

Yep, you can install BT to a sd card just as if it were a ssd. You can either put grub on your internal ssd, or do what I usually do and install grub to the sd card. That option is under the advanced settings when it comes to the grub install. Then you can use your laptop's bios hotkey to select the boot device. So far I've never burned out a card doing it this way. If you want to keep it as a live cd, use yumi, or unetbooten to make the sd card bootable. You'll still need to use the laptop's bios key to select the boot device.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Hi Barry, thanks for response. I think my issue is that the laptop can not boot from sd card natively, it is not recognized as boot device even from boot devices option. Basically, bios appears to not support booting from sd card. I tried installing backtrack to sd card earlier, with grub on ssd, but grub failed to see sd card after reboot, I think it might be missing some module of some kind.

Just burned his ISO

I think what he may be saying is his laptop will not boot from an SD controller, which is odd as many are slaved to USB. I ran into a problem like this with a netbook once. This requires some "engineering" skill and someparts. Basically buy a USB to SD adapter.. break it open..find out where you have clearance on the inside of your machine for the board, mount it. I soldered and mounted in a retractable USB cable.(I didnt want to permanently sacrifice the port, so this part is really personal preference otherwise you could just keep all the wiring internal) Dremeled an appropriate sized port in the case for my USB cable and i had a retractable discreet dual boot from USB. up to you....i'm terribly compulsive so this may not be the best option for all ;p

Quote Originally Posted by dorddszv View Post
    Hi Barry, thanks for response. I think my issue is that the laptop can not boot from sd card natively, it is not recognized as boot device even from boot devices option. Basically, bios appears to not support booting from sd card. I tried installing backtrack to sd card earlier, with grub on ssd, but grub failed to see sd card after reboot, I think it might be missing some module of some kind.
    Ahh, I got ya. I've seen a few laptops that do that as well. Kinda lame. What model laptop are you using? Maybe someone here knows of a work around.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Is it possible when we don't have a SD card ? it's mean we're using a card reader