Thread: Ettercap SEND L3 ERROR

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Ettercap SEND L3 ERROR

hi, When i sniff with ettercap in BT5 R1.. i have this message :

SEND L3 ERROR: 2654 byte packet (0800:06) destined to 82.57.200.224 was not forwarded (libnet_write_raw_ipv4(): -1 bytes written (Message too long)

SEND L3 ERROR: 2654 byte packet (0800:06) destined to 82.57.200.224 was not forwarded (libnet_write_raw_ipv4(): -1 bytes written (operation not permitted)

I try to remove ettercap but i have the same problem !! help me please

Thanks

Good friend of the forums zimmaro's Avatar

Default Re: Ettercap SEND L3 ERROR

hi,
    i've the same problem! and other guys have the same! bye
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...tml#post206136

Just burned his ISO

Hi guys,

I'm getting similar errors on Backtrack 5 (not R1), Kernel 2.6.38 on my laptop.

I can make it work on my Ubuntu 11.04 pc however, Kernel 2.6.38-10-generic. There
    are just all these 'non-secure' warnings when you visit web pages with that going however haha.

The error:

Code:
    SEND L3 ERROR: 56 byte packet (0800:01) destined to 10.0.0.102 was not forwarded (libnet_write_raw_ipv4(): -1 bytes written (Operation not permitted)
    )
    My network interface for Backtrack:

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  
              inet addr:10.10.24.152  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx/ Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:1129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:21 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:75414 (75.4 KB)  TX bytes:2180 (2.1 KB)
              Interrupt:10 Base address:0xd020
    I'm going to try running Backtrack on the pc later, just to make sure it's not a hardware thing.

Let me know if there's any other info that helps.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

hey man,that is the mtu problem
    try this:
    ifconfig eth0 mtu 3000

you may want to see this thread: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-ettercap.html

Just burned their ISO

Default AW: Ettercap SEND L3 ERROR

Is there already a Solution for the "SEND L3 ERROR" ??

Some say it you could try to fix it with editing the "IPV4_FORWARD" or "etter.conf" file... Is that just a next Idea or the real Solution?

Don't wanna say it isn't right, but can someone confirm the MTU fix?

How would setting the MTU to 3000 which is double the ethernet norm fix the problem??
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snafu777 View Post
    How would setting the MTU to 3000 which is double the ethernet norm fix the problem??
    It's pretty obvious. 42 is the answer

All right, no joke this time, I'm wondering the same. MTU is Maximum Transmit Unit. And i believe this is the length of the packet frame, but as said snafu777, 1500 is the standard. Doubling it doesn't make much sens (afaik).

SEND L3 ERROR: 2654 byte packet
    Well, I guess you say that because of supra but... Dunno, doesn't seem right to me.

Someone do a test and report ? I guess this way we can make sure...
    Running both KDE and GNOME BT5 flawlessly. Thank you !

Just burned their ISO

Default AW: Ettercap SEND L3 ERROR

Seems like doesn't work..., remember the Error is about a denied Permission on forwarding packets an Layer3. I've never seen a higher MTU on MY Network as 1500 in all these years, also this error was not common in the previous versions of Backtrack.

Layer3/L3:

This is also referred to as the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) Network Layer. It provides the paths for the transfer of data between systems and across networks. The paths between systems may include switched services, and interconnections of multiple subnetworks on route. An example of a protocol operating at the network layer would be IP (Internet Protocol).
    The MTU (Maximum transmission Unit) is the greatest amount of data that can be transferred in one physical frame on the network
    Your idea with the MTU is not right, but you're thinking into the right way =), on my researches i found 2 interesting points.
    First is the MSS (Maximum Segment Size) defines the largest segment of TCP (Transfer Control Protocol) data that the Winsock is prepared to receive. When a connection is established, the two ends agree to use the smaller of each end's value.
    The Second Point is the Header refers to the first part of a data cell or packet, containing such information as source and destination addresses, and instructions on how the telecommunications network is to handle the data. The header is part of the overhead in a data transmission protocol.
    Sorry this should not be an lesson, also i don't wanna come you to near... Just wanna give my opinion to the error. I've spend so much hours on fixxing this error... Seems like there must be an conflict with the routing... Remember the ipv4_forwarding file? (proc/sys/net...). Seems like there a more conf-files which we must set...

I'm not an expert or anything like that... i repeat that i only wanna try and learn =)

Just burned his ISO

apt-get install ettercap fixed it for me